Re: Hybrid Tagging & Taxonomy

  • ahacksaw1
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 3 7:50 AM
      Apologies for reviving an old thread, but I'm currently looking for
      examples of hybrid bottom-up tagging/top-down taxonomy approaches
      that have been used across enterprises. I've seen a fair amount of
      discussion of plans for such approaches, especially in library OPACs
      and in media organizations, but I'm not aware of any working
      implementations of hybrid approaches for corporations. If anyone can
      point me to even one that I could look at, I'd be very grateful. The
      Buzzillions example is a great start, but I'd love to find more
      examples.

      Thanks,
      Amy Silvers

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 4 10:05 PM
        Christine Conors at Raytheon: http://taxocop.wikispaces.com/Social+tagging 3 October 2006

        Sarah Hayman has just written a report on folksonomies and taxonomies for an Ark Group conference - have only had a quick scan through, but she also looks at some corporate examples

        Hope this is useful

      • ahacksaw1
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 5 7:02 AM
          Very helpful! Thanks, Patrick.

          http://thecommunityengine.com/home/archives/2005/03/

          http://www.educationau.edu.au/jahia/webdav/site/myjahiasite/shared/
          > papers/arkhayman.pdf
          >
          > Hope this is useful

          > Patrick Lambe
          >
          > website: www.straitsknowledge.com
          > weblog: www.greenchameleon.com
          > book: www.organisingknowledge.com
          >

          > On 03 Jul 2007, at 10:50 PM, ahacksaw1 wrote:
          >
          > > Apologies for reviving an old thread, but I'm currently looking
          for
          > > examples of hybrid bottom-up tagging/top-down taxonomy approaches
          > > that have been used across enterprises. I've seen a fair amount
          of
          > > discussion of plans for such approaches, especially in library
          OPACs
          > > and in media organizations, but I'm not aware of any working
          > > implementations of hybrid approaches for corporations. If anyone
          can
          > > point me to even one that I could look at, I'd be very grateful.
          The
          > > Buzzillions example is a great start, but I'd love to find more
          > > examples.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Amy Silvers
          > >
          > > --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, "spapa1999" <spapa1999@> wrote:
          > > >

          > > > Hello Lisa,
          > > >
          > > > I realize your posting is old but I suspect this is relevant
          for
          > > many
          > > > on the list. I have been impressed with the new Buzzillions
          site
          > > for
          > > > carefully balancing use input within a structured environment.
          Try
          > > > search and the tag cloud will provide a nice summarization of
          the
          > > > semi-structured user tagging. You may also want to try posting
          > > > review to see how the process is managed.
          > > >
          > > > http://www.buzzillions.com/
          > > >
          > > > Good luck,
          > > >
          > > > Steve Papa

          > > involving a
          > > > taxonomies
          > > > design

          > > > Flickr

          > > and
          > > > on

        • William Bitunjac
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 5 8:58 AM
            I've found myself in a similar situation.

            I have a DAM project where the content authors (designers,
            photographers, creative buyers) are tasked with generating metadata
            and indexing image assets without a great deal of training. Turnover
            in all of these areas is very high, so a less structured bottom up
            (folksonomy approach) is appealing.

            90% of our metadata is structured, so validation is a no-brainer...but
            keyword indexing created an issue since exhaustive training on a
            vocabulary was out of the question as was hiring a fleet of catalogin
            librarians.

            From a search performance perspective, they want the benefits of a
            structured environment using ambiguity clarification, synonym rings,
            term relationships, and validating authorities for approved terms.

            We have devised a scheme (maybe a scam) based on a hybrid approach.
            Users enter their "suggested" terms (bottom up tagging) into a
            indexing assistence tool, which offers suggestions utilizing ambiguity
            clarification, synonym rings, word lemitization, and thesaurus BT, NT,
            RT relationships. Users would see if their term was approved, select
            approved or related terms via check boxes and submit their selections
            to the webform.

            If a preferred term was not available in the indexing aid, it could be
            added - at which point a taxonomist would asses the term, build in the
            required relationships in the Thesaurus and publish it...or reject the
            term and a notification would be sent to the user noting the approved
            term that had been applied in its place. This gave the taxonomist an
            automatic lens into the users terminology, somebody with an
            InfoScience background a chance to clean up the relationships, and
            give users some feedback into the selection of approved terms.

            Part of the feedback involved seeing how many others used the approved
            terms (a'la del.icio.us) to heavily suggest that approved terms were
            the way to go.

            Illusion of a Folksonomy, with a lot of logic baked in...and the
            ability for real users to inform the taxonomy as part of the process.

            ....now all I have to do is get my very conservative Data Architect to
            build it like I described it....

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 5 9:13 PM
              Amy

              I've now had a chance to review the Sarah Hayman paper (and have done so at http://www.greenchameleon.com/gc/blog_detail/folksonomies_in_the_enter) and it looks like a very interesting proof of concept, involving auto-complete tagging - users start typing their tags, and a thesaurus in the background suggests controlled taxonomy terms. Users can accept the suggested terms or still submit their own. The tool is supplemented by a tag cloud showing the frequency of use of both controlled terms and uncontrolled terms in the same cloud. A very interesting project, the paper is well worth a read. There are links to other blog posts on this project in the comments to my blog post linked above.

              Best

              Patrick
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 6 11:59 AM

                This is a very comprehensive article.

                Here is a short note I posted a couple of months back on the topic.

                http://sethearley.wordpress.com/2007/02/15/folksonomy-versus-taxonomy/#more-45

                President
                _____________________________

                EARLEY & ASSOCIATES, Inc.
                Cell: 781-820-8080

                Office: 781-444-0287
                Email: seth@...
                I've now had a chance to review the Sarah Hayman paper (and have done so at http://www.greencha meleon.com/ gc/blog_detail/ folksonomies_ in_the_enter) and it looks like a very interesting proof of concept, involving auto-complete tagging - users start typing their tags, and a thesaurus in the background suggests controlled taxonomy terms. Users can accept the suggested terms or still submit their own. The tool is supplemented by a tag cloud showing the frequency of use of both controlled terms and uncontrolled terms in the same cloud. A very interesting project, the paper is well worth a read. There are links to other blog posts on this project in the comments to my blog post linked above.

                Best

                Patrick

              • Kevin Hannon
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 12 8:29 AM
                  I was made aware of an experiment in collaborative tagging that I think is worth participating in:

                  Kevin Hannon
                  Principal and Founder
                  InfoCurators, LLC
                  201-913-8108
                  khannon@...
                  www.infocurators.com

                    Here is a short note I posted a couple of months back on the topic.

                    http://sethearley. wordpress. com/2007/ 02/15/folksonomy -versus-taxonomy /#more-45

                    President

                    EARLEY & ASSOCIATES, Inc.
                    Cell: 781-820-8080