Re: [TaxoCoP] Starting out in L..A..

  • Heather Hedden
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29, 2007
      Hi Linda,

      For freelancers like you with an indexing background, we're starting
      up a Taxonomy & Controlled Vocabulary Special Interest Group (SIG) of
      the American Society of Indexers (ASI), to share advice and pass on
      referrals for contract work. (I'm the contact person.) You do have to
      be an ASI member to join, though.

      For someone with a freelance indexing background, you can get (often
      remote, off-site) freelance taxonomy development/editing work by
      networking through this group and through the future ASI Taxonomy &
      Controlled Vocabulary SIG discussion group. You can also post a
      profile at http://taxocop.wikispaces.com Once you've gotten some
      freelance taxonomy experience you are better positioned to apply for
      full-time taxonomist positions when they come up. This is a relatively
      newly defined profession, so networking and experience matter more
      than formal training. (An MLS degree is a plus but not required.)
      Anyway, that's my experience. Others come to work in taxonomies from
      an information architecture background or other backgrounds. And
      perhaps those people can respond to you from their experience.

      My sense is more people on this TaxoCoP group create and manage
      taxonomies for their internal organizations. I'd love to see a poll
      (hint) of this group's members to see what their jobs are and whether
      they manage/develop taxonomies for internal use, public web site use,
      external paid subscriber use, or as consultants/consultancies for
      other corporate client needs. (I think the TaxoCoP group manager can
      better design the poll than I.)

      --Heather

      Heather Hedden
      Information Taxonomist