Re: Synonym / Enterprise Search / Best Practices

  • jamjam76
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2007
      That's very helpful Avi. Thank you for the insights!
      Best regards,
      Pete
    • Ari Wackernah
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2007
        Friends,

        I'm wondering if anyone knows of a source of info that rates or provides some kind of feedback on different entity extraction, vocab management, automated tagging tools, etc.  A source that compares apps would be great.  Does such info exist somewhere?  If so, kindly let me know.  Feel free to respond privately if necessary.  Thanks a lot.

        Ari
        ariwack@...

        Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.
      • Karin Schneider
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2007

          Hi Avi,

          Hope you are doing well. Haven't seen you in a while. Will you be at the ESS in NYC?

          I saw your synonym expansion comments. I agree, there are many ways and they are all valid. In my mind which one you actually pick depends on three things: Your audience, your content and your synonyms. Example: If you support a search on a customer facing website I'd compose a synonym dictionary that anticipates audience questions and is targeted to the content. You may end up with terms that are by no means synonyms in the strict sense of the word but provide meaningful expansions of the query. Then I would execute and automatically expand the query, highlight the terms and synonyms in the result and allow the user to opt out. In other scenarios, e.g. dealing with a targeted enterprise application and specialized users I would execute the query with the search term (and expansion based on standard lemmatization), display the search result and the synonyms or taxonomy to select from to refine the query.

          Regards,

          Karin