Taxonomy Group - New member

  • Gardner, Mike
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2007
      Taxonomy Group - New member

      Hello.
      I am a new member of the Taxonomy Group. My name is Mike Gardner and I am the taxonomist and content management strategist for EDS. I have been responsible for owning and managing the taxonomy at EDS for the last 5 years.

      The EDS taxonomy comprises of 3 inter-related components, a lexicon, a thesaurus and a definition of the fields used as part of the metadata for the enterprise. These are currently all maintained in a master list using Microsoft SharePoint. The key reason for the taxonomy was to assist in the management of our knowledge management capabilities within the enterprise, much of which is stored in Microsoft SharePoint. We have built additional capabilities that enable us to manage the taxonomy across SharePoint sites consistently, both in terms of managing the metadata directly and updating the metadata associated with documents.

      We are currently extending the scope of our knowledge management tools to include the introduction of FAST as the search engine and extension of repositories to cover Documentum as an additional document management tool (as well as upgrading to SharePoint 2007). The next major challenge is to ensure the taxonomy continues to be managed effectively across all of the new tools, so if anyone has experience of managing metadata across these 3 tools (SharePoint, FAST, Documentum) then I would be interested in talking to them.

      I am based in the UK though work for a team most of whom are based in the US.

      Mike Gardner
      EDS CIO EKM Team - EDS Taxonomist & Content Rationalization Leader
      Telephone: +44 (0)1332 663964 (Home Office)
      Mobile: +44 (0)7790 492991
      Hudson House, Derby, UK
      micheal.gardner@...

      This email contains information which is confidential and may be privileged. Unless you are the intended addressee (or authorised to receive for the addressee) you may not use, forward, copy or disclose to anyone this email or any information contained in this email. If you have received this email in error, please advise the sender by reply email immediately and delete this email.

      Electronic Data Systems Ltd
      Registered Office:, Lansdowne House, Berkeley Square, London  W1J 6ER
      Registered in England no: 53419
      VAT number: 432 99 5915

    • Scott Abel
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2007
        Welcome to the Taxonomy CoP, Michael. I think you'll find the group very helpful and its members a very giving group. I've received advice, leads, and found out information that saved me lots of time. I also think the members are a very diverse group, so you tend to learn many things about the subjects being discussed, which I find useful.

        Just a quick note to say you might consider joining Content Management Professionals (www.cmpros.org) if you're not already a member. I'm a content strategist as well and have made many very meaningful connections through my CM Pros membership. Our upcoming CM Pros Spring Summit might be of interest to you. It's coming up quickly (April 13, 2007) and you can learn more here:

        We'll have another in Boston this Fall.

        Again, welcome to the TaxoCoP.

        Cheers,

        Scott

        We've moved our office to service you better!
        =======================================
        Scott Abel, The Content Wrangler, Inc.
        tele: +1 317-466-1840   skype: abelsp   email: abelsp@...

        DOCUMENTATION & TRAINING: THE USER EXPERIENCE
        APR 18-21, 2007 ~ Vancouver BC   Learn more: http://www.doctrain.com

        WEB CONTENT 2007
        JUNE 18-19, 2007 ~ Chicago, IL   Learn more: http://www.webcontent2007.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3, 2007
          Mike for your taxonomy management question have you looked at Synaptica?

          Best

          Patrick

          Patrick Lambe

          micheal.gardner@eds.com

          This email contains information which is confidential and may be privileged. Unless you are the intended addressee (or authorised to receive for the addressee) you may not use, forward, copy or disclose to anyone this email or any information contained in this email. If you have received this email in error, please advise the sender by reply email immediately and delete this email.

          Electronic Data Systems Ltd
          Registered Office:, Lansdowne House, Berkeley Square, London  W1J 6ER
          Registered in England no: 53419
          VAT number: 432 99 5915

        • Christine Connors
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3, 2007
            Hi Mike,

            I haven't managed metadata across those three tools, but I've done it across others with a metadata registry. Some vendors you could look at are SchemaLogic, Wordmap, Siderean - I'm sure there are others, but these three come to mind immediately. Patrick sent one already, maybe other members know of additional tools?

            Cheers,
            Christine

[...]

            Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
            in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.