Platform independant taxonomy tools

  • lingley
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2007
      Hi, I am new to the group and see some familiar names. A brief
      background on myself: I managed the services team and knowledge
      management group at Verity/Autonomy for a number of years. I have
      recently left which leads me to my question for the group.

      What platform independant tools are available, and respected by the
      librarian community, for developing and maintaining taxonomy structure
      and associated terms (rules)? I am looking for something I can
      integrate into an existing search platform. This does not necessarily
      need to be opensource. The key terms in my question are "platform
      free", meaning not part of another search company, and "respected",
      which as we all know can be difficult to find.

      I appreciate your time in reading this. I look forward to reconnecting
      with you all as well.

      Thanks.

      David Lingley
    • Keipat Patkei
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2007
        Hi David,

        Welcome. It sounds like you're describing the tool I'm most familiar with Dow Jones' Synaptica.  I describe Synaptica as 'platform agnostic'; moreover, I can attest that it has an excellent reputation among libraries (I'm a librarian, too).  I hope this helps.

        Sincerely,

        Keith DeWeese
        Taxonomy Consultant
        Dow Jones and Company, Inc.
        +1-312-750-4113
        keith.deweese@...

        lingley <david@...> wrote:
[...]

        TV dinner still cooling?

      • lingley
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2007
          Has anyone taken a look at iBox?
          http://www.interse.com/Solutions/iBox-Enterprise-Classifier.aspx

          and thanks for feedback so far.

          --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, Keipat Patkei <keipat1962@...> wrote:

          > Hi David,
          >
          > Welcome. It sounds like you're describing the tool I'm most
          familiar with Dow Jones' Synaptica. I describe Synaptica
          as 'platform agnostic'; moreover, I can attest that it has an
          excellent reputation among libraries (I'm a librarian, too). I hope
          this helps.

          > Sincerely,
          >
          > Keith DeWeese
          > Taxonomy Consultant
          > Dow Jones and Company, Inc.
          > +1-312-750-4113
          > keith.deweese@...
          >
          > lingley <david@...> wrote:
          > Hi, I am new to the group and see some familiar names. A
          brief
          > background on myself: I managed the services team and knowledge
          > management group at Verity/Autonomy for a number of years. I have
          > recently left which leads me to my question for the group.
          >
          > What platform independant tools are available, and respected by the
          > librarian community, for developing and maintaining taxonomy
          structure
          > and associated terms (rules)? I am looking for something I can
          > integrate into an existing search platform. This does not
          necessarily
          > need to be opensource. The key terms in my question are "platform
          > free", meaning not part of another search company, and "respected",
          > which as we all know can be difficult to find.
          >
          > I appreciate your time in reading this. I look forward to
          reconnecting
          > with you all as well.
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > David Lingley
          >

          > ---------------------------------
          > TV dinner still cooling?

        • aredmondneal
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 2, 2007
            Hi, David,

            Data Harmony's tools are platform-independent and can be integrated
            into existing systems. They are Thesaurus Master for
            thesaurus/taxonomy creation and management and M.A.I. (Machine Aided
            Indexer) for fully editable rules to guide editorial selection of
            terms or apply them automatically.

            Alice