Re:Taxonomies, Search, and Microsoft SharePoint

  • Knox,Rita
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2007
      to search Sharepoint, or any other CM system, you probably need a more powerful search engine. Google not good enough for what you are looking for (concept search, synonyms). Apps that give focus you are looking for cost, but do the job. Examples are Autonomy (www.autonomy.com) or Fast Search and Transfer (www.fastsearch.com). You can probably also use something like Google to get general results, then a text analytics app on top of it to get the concept identification/extraction capabilities you are looking for. hope this helps.

      -- rita

      Rita E. Knox, Ph.D. | VP & Research Director | Information Infrastructure | Gartner

      Office: +1 818 785 5111 | Inquiry: +1 203 316 1200 | www.gartner.com | inquiry@...

      cid:image001.gif@01C74142.78DB1860

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2007

        Another good tool is Interse.  We will likely do a conference call on that particular tool.

        Earley & Associates, Inc
        781-444-0287
        781-820-8080 cell

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 2, 2007
          Another company worth a look in this field is Active Navigation. I
          work for them, so bear my bias in mind!

          Active Navigation's products are founded on linguistic theme
          extraction technology research from the University of Southampton
          (UK).

          Unlike other approaches, no dictionaries or training sets are
          required, setup is rapid, and results are generated quickly.

          The resulting indexes are used for many outputs including taxonomy
          generation (based on thematic content), user navigation and metadata
          creation for ECM systems (including automatic thematic summarisation).

          As this isn't the place to go into more detail, please visit the
          website if you would like any further information.

          Best regards

          Chris Dewey
          chris.dewey@...
          http://www.activenav.com/
        • Karin Schneider
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 2, 2007

            I'll sign up for that one! What do you like about the iBox? We talked to Dan Thomson from Interse (great guy!) and Microsoft.

            I liked Interse but haven't been sold on the iBox yet (I'm also not a sharepoint user). Would gladly here your opinion.

            :-)

            Karin

            --
            Karin

            Jetzt gratis testen! http://freemail.web.de/home/landingpad/?mc=021130
          • Joe Lamantia
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 3, 2007
              Paul,

              What are you using SharePoint to accomplish? Is it a publishing
              platform, application development framework, application server,
              portal server, etc.?

              As you've noted, SharePoint 2007 does not provide substantial
              information retrieval capabilities. You'll need a third-party tool
              for indexing, concept extraction, term matching, etc. As an example,
              I'm working on a project integrating Endeca and SharePoint 2007 at
              the moment. In this combination, Endeca's search, index, query
              processing and other information retrieval capabilities supplement
              MOSS 2007.

              And SharePoint is definitely not a metadata or taxonomy management
              tool. You'll need a third-party tool to manage any meaningful
              taxonomies or sets of metadata you need to support your desired user
              experience. SchemaLogic recently released a SharePoint 2007
              integration module - you might take a look at that, to see if it fits
              your needs.

              Cheers,
              Joe Lamantia

              On Jan 31, 2007, at 1:04 PM, Paul Rosenberg wrote:

              > My company (a large insurer) is a major user of the SharePoint portal
              > platform. Unfortunately, SharePoint, even in the new version just
              > released, is very poor at concept searching.
              >
              > You can supply a synonym list for a given word, but there are no
              > facilities for supporting taxonomies, categorization, or navigation
              > by concept. For example, a search on 'bike' will not find 'bicycle'
              > unless you supply it as synonym. The package does not supply any
              > standard synonym lists.
              >
              > Microsoft says that many features were cut from the SharePoint 2007
              > package in the rush to get it out the door, and that we should look
              > to third parties to supplement its capabilities.
              >
              > I'm curious as to what others are doing to remedy these lacks. In
              > the short term, I'm probably going to use WordNet to derive synonym
              > lists for terms that are applicable to the company's business.
              > Longer term, I'm looking for a way to adapt the taxonomies I am
              > creating to work with a third-party solution, or with the next
              > version of SharePoint (due in 18 months or so) that may offer the
              > support I want (we are asking Microsoft what the plans for it are,
              > but have not received an answer as yet).
              >
              > Paul Rosenberg
              > GEICO Insurance
              > prosenberg@...
              > 301.986.3826

              joe.lamantia@... | www.joelamantia.com

              "...seek and learn to recognize who and what, in the midst of the
              inferno, are not inferno, then make them endure, give them space."

              Italo Calvino -- Invisible Cities
            • kate.simpson@freshfields.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 12, 2007
                Joe Lamantia wrote:
                "SchemaLogic recently released a SharePoint 2007 integration module - you might take a look at that, to see if it fits
                your needs."

                and

                Karin Schneider wrote:
                "I liked Interse but haven't been sold on the iBox yet (I'm also not a sharepoint user). Would gladly here your opinion."

                We've just been through an RFI process pitting SchemaLogic, Interse and Wordmap against each other. I'd absolutely agree with Joe that you need a separate taxo/metadata management tool to help manage all those interactions and benefits quite outside of Sharepoint, and every tool on the planet is falling over themselves to integrate with Sharepoint 2007 at the moment.

                Which tool you choose however must be dependent on your particular organisation's needs. The iBox is more of an end solution than SchemaLogic, featuring as it does a search engine and user interface (and auto-categorisation/tagging capabilities). SchemaLogic is more of a back-end tool that can be plugged in to your systems by IT in as many ways as you wish - but it is a huge tool and can manage massive numbers of nodes etc, so you might want something slightly smaller and with fewer bells & whistles that come with either the iBox or SchemaLogic, such as Wordmap?

                And finally, we should not dismiss some of the "add-on" tools that come with the newer search technologies such as FAST and, Joe, you mention Endeca? How does that compare to specific third-party taxo management tools? Anyone compared them?

                (Oh, and if anyone would like any more specifics about the tools we looked at please feel free to contact me off-list!)

                Kate

                joe.lamantia@ gmail.com | www.joelamantia. com

                "...seek and learn to recognize who and what, in the midst of the
                inferno, are not inferno, then make them endure, give them space."

                Italo Calvino -- Invisible Cities

                This e-mail is confidential and may well also be legally privileged. If you have received it in error, you are on notice of its status. Please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from your system. Please do not copy it or use it for any purposes, or disclose its contents to any other person: to do so could be a breach of confidence. Thank you for your co-operation. Please contact our IT Helpdesk on +44 (0) 20 7785 2000 or email ITHelpdesk@... if you need assistance.

                Please refer to http://www.freshfields.com/legalnotice/uk.asp for regulatory information relating to the provision of insurance mediation services.

                /
              • Joe Lamantia
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 12, 2007
                  Kate is correct that several major players in the search space offer
                  (or claim to offer) capability for taxo / metadata management. FAST
                  is one. While the specifics of each will differ, anyone considering
                  a searching tool should keep in mind that the various search
                  platforms and tool suites were built to support those needs - not
                  taxonomy management.

                  Some quick thoughts (not a rigorous evaluation) on Endeca:

                  Endeca's capabilities for taxonomy / metadata management were
                  limited. It's clear that the Endeca tool suite is built to power
                  information retrieval functions and searching experiences. A direct
                  comparison between Endeca and any dedicated taxo / metadata
                  management tool would likely end up showing substantial gaps in
                  Endeca's offering.

                  Relying on Endeca's capabilities to solve a substantial taxonomy
                  management problem iwould mean pushing the complexity of a nuanced
                  domain model into a set of flattened relationships and arbitrary
                  hierarchies. The best you might get is an approximate fit.

                  Of course, this combination of certain kinds structures is what
                  allows Endeca to offer effective, narrow-the-funnel style searching
                  experiences through large sets of items in a single domain. Product
                  catalog applications are very common setting for Endeca: I see Endeca
                  behind quite a few e-commerce experiences, for example. And I
                  believe their marketing and promotion materials reflect this pattern
                  of usage by their customers.

                  Regardless of intent, Endeca may fit your needs for these kinds of
                  capabilities. In this case, other factors ( such as pricing,
                  platform, architecture, support model, etc.) might weigh more heavily
                  in any comparative decision about whether you need a dedicated taxo
                  management tool, or can compromise on a tool that's aimed at solving
                  other problems.

                  Feel free to contact me directly for more details.

                  Cheers,
                  Joe Lamantia

                • plambe@straitsknowledge.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 12, 2007
                    I have recently taken a look at Factiva's taxonomy and metadata
                    management tool Synaptica - it is designed primarily as a taxonomy
                    management tool (many of the tools I've looked at are primarily
                    thesaurus management tools), is quite user friendly, and can link all
                    kinds of controlled vocabularies to each other, moving it in the
                    direction of enterprise metadata management or ontology development.
                    They have also worked hard on standards for export/interface with
                    search and CMS tools. Don't know if there's a Sharepoint integration.

                    Patrick

                    Quoting Joe Lamantia <joe.lamantia@...>:

                    > Kate is correct that several major players in the search space offer
                    > (or claim to offer) capability for taxo / metadata management. FAST
                    > is one. While the specifics of each will differ, anyone considering
                    > a searching tool should keep in mind that the various search
                    > platforms and tool suites were built to support those needs - not
                    > taxonomy management.
                  • Heather Hedden
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 12, 2007
                      I have used Synaptica to developed taxonomies for a client of theirs,
                      but I would consider it more of a thesaurus development tool, because
                      the system supports many more relationships than simply the hierarchical
                      broader-narrower relationship. In fact you can create what I would
                      consider ontologies with it. But I wouldn't consider it a "search" tool.
                      Synaptica can be used over the web and thus is a practical way to have
                      multiple people (taxonomists, controlled vocabulary editors, or whatever
                      you call them) work simultaneously remotely on a set of taxonomies or
                      controlled vocabularies.

                      For some background, Synaptica was originally developed by the Synapse
                      Corp., a company which Factiva bought a couple years ago.

                      --Heather Hedden

                      Information Taxonomist
                      Viziant Corp.
                      http://www.viziantcorp.net

                      Hedden Information Management
                      http://www.Hedden-Information.com

                      plambe@... wrote:
                      > I have recently taken a look at Factiva's taxonomy and metadata
                      > management tool Synaptica - it is designed primarily as a taxonomy
                      > management tool (many of the tools I've looked at are primarily
                      > thesaurus management tools), is quite user friendly, and can link all
                      > kinds of controlled vocabularies to each other, moving it in the
                      > direction of enterprise metadata management or ontology development.
                      > They have also worked hard on standards for export/interface with
                      > search and CMS tools. Don't know if there's a Sharepoint integration.
                      >
                      > Patrick
                      >
                      > Quoting Joe Lamantia <joe.lamantia@...>:
                      >

                      >> Kate is correct that several major players in the search space offer
                      >> (or claim to offer) capability for taxo / metadata management. FAST
                      >> is one. While the specifics of each will differ, anyone considering
                      >> a searching tool should keep in mind that the various search
                      >> platforms and tool suites were built to support those needs - not
                      >> taxonomy management.

                    • Keipat Patkei
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 13, 2007
                        Heather,

                        You bring up a good point regarding Synaptica: It goes well beyond supporting many more relationships than those needed for constructing a taxonomy; and, because it is platform agnostic, it can be used to extend the functionality of any number of search engines, from Autonomy to SharePoint search, and any in between.

                        You also mention another great feature of Synaptica which is that it allows multiple people to work with it simultaneously.  I think this is one of its strong points in this day of increased collaboration but also increased need for process governance.  To support the enterprise and the vision of the Semantic Web, Synaptica is an outstanding product.

                        Keith DeWeese
                        Dow Jones and Company, Inc.
                        +1-312-750-4113

                        plambe@straitsknowl edge.com wrote:
                        > I have recently taken a look at Factiva's taxonomy and metadata
                        > management tool Synaptica - it is designed primarily as a taxonomy
                        > management tool (many of the tools I've looked at are primarily
                        > thesaurus management tools), is quite user friendly, and can link all
                        > kinds of controlled vocabularies to each other, moving it in the
                        > direction of enterprise metadata management or ontology development.
                        > They have also worked hard on standards for export/interface with
                        > search and CMS tools. Don't know if there's a Sharepoint integration.
                        >
                        > Patrick
                        >
                        > Quoting Joe Lamantia <joe.lamantia@ gmail.com>:
                        >

                        >> Kate is correct that several major players in the search space offer
                        >> (or claim to offer) capability for taxo / metadata management. FAST
                        >> is one. While the specifics of each will differ, anyone considering
                        >> a searching tool should keep in mind that the various search
                        >> platforms and tool suites were built to support those needs - not
                        >> taxonomy management.

                        Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.

                      • aredmondneal
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 15, 2007
                          For a dedicated thesaurus construction tool, also consider Thesaurus
                          Master. It is designed as a fully compliant thesaurus construction
                          tool--that obviously means it handles taxonomies. But also supports
                          user-created custom fields and SKOS and OWL outputs. It is platform
                          independent, hooks with various other tools including Sharepoint and
                          search tools. Thesaurus Master manages the vocabulary/metadata set,
                          while M.A.I. (Machine Aided Indexer) suggests the terms/tags for
                          documents and applies them, either with editorial review or
                          automatically. (disclaimer: I work for the company)

                          Alice