Positions Available: Contract Video Metataggers | Spot Runner, Los Angeles, CA

  • Lisa Colvin
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2006
      Hi all~

      As the initial step in a multi-phase digital asset management initiative, Spot Runner is undertaking an intensive review of existing in-house taxonomies and a critical evaluation of metadata currently associated to ad library assets. A concurrent project enabling augmented search functionality on the public site is due to launch in Q1 2007 –thus the goal of this project is to provide improved accuracy in the quality of descriptors available for access by the search engine.

      We are hiring several video metataggers for a 2-4 week effort over the next month. I've attached the job description below. Please feel free to forward to anyone you believe would be interested.

      Warm regards,

      Lisa
      _______________________________________

      Lisa Colvin

      Manager, Information Architecture and Usability
      lcolvin@...
      Tel 310 424 2145
      Fax 310 430 7999

      Spot Runner
      6300 Wilshire Boulevard
      Twenty-First Floor
      Los Angeles, CA 90048
      www.spotrunner.com

      Video Metatagger (Contract Position, 2-4 weeks, $15/hr)

      Spot Runner, the world’s first internet-based advertising agency, is changing the entire face of a business, 30 seconds at a time. We’re using our revolutionary Internet technology and leading edge creative services to transform television advertising. Now, thanks to Spot Runner, local businesses can market themselves with high-quality, professional ads affordably. We’re looking for creative, driven, self-starters who want to be on the leading edge of developing technology and the television evolution. We’re innovative and dynamic. Are you?

      Position Description and Responsibilities

      Spot Runner is currently hiring several full time contract Video Metataggers to work with our digital Ad Library on an exciting project that will help improve online search results.

      Video Metataggers will

      * view Ad Library footage and evaluate the keywords currently associated to the Ad
      * search the controlled vocabulary/ approved term lists for the proper tag and assign it

      Qualifications

      * Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education/ experience
      * Computer literate (Excel) with good listening, comprehension and editing skills
      * Team player with attention to detail and an ability to work independently

      Spot Runner is based in Los Angeles, CA and the position is located on-site. The project length is estimated at up to one month, but ongoing work may be available after that time. Interviews are taking place the week of 12/4-12/8 and the planned start date is 12/11.

      Why Spot Runner is special: We create tremendous value for our customers and our business model is innovative, highly scalable and market leading; Spot Runner employees are energized by their ability to work in a fast paced, highly flexible environment where their decisions can have a positive affect on the company’s bottom line!

      For more company info visit us @ www.spotrunner.com or apply on-line @ http://spotrunnerjobs.com/jobs_details1.asp?Job_id=85301&Page_Id=6896&Published=1
    • seth_earley
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 3, 2006
        Hi Lisa,

        Seems like a project for college students or out of work actors? (I
        was going to quip that "I think you are missing a digit in your
        rate". <smile>)

        I understand the need to keep your costs under control. Video is
        notoriously challenging to tag since one has to sit through all of
        the material - no automated tools exist. But are these just 30 and
        60 second segments?

        What are the different types of video you are tagging? How granular
        do you plan on getting? What are the access scenarios?

        From a tactical project perspective, how are you planning on tagging
        content? What are some of the categories?

        How subjective is the tagging? Will you be able to train this level
        of resource to tag appropriately?

        What are you using for technology, by the way?

        I am sure you weren't planning on this kind of discussion, but
        sounds like a fascinating project.

        Seth

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2006

          Hi Seth-

          Believe me- I have had this argument/ discussion with the others involved in the project.  Since this is a start up- they have cost and iterative release issues and were going to hire $5 hr temps to come in and eyeball things. There is no taxonomy- the metadata is currently attached by the video directors using an internal admin interface.  It’s just random “keywords.” I have strongly recommended a metadata librarian be a full time staff member- and there is a digital asset management project planned for Q1 next year- I’ve explained repeatedly that this will be a several year project to really catalog everything properly and set up the full lifecycle from creation of the ad to archival preservation- digital and physical, including all related artifacts and components.

          You are correct that this is fascinating- it’s also a bit unwieldy and somewhat proprietary. =)  I’ve made several suggestions as to taxonomy creation / implementation and I’m slowing selling them on the importance.  I even got my product manager to listen to the taxonomy and IA call last week.  But in this environment, it’s all about proving ROI.  It will take time.

          So yes, I am hoping for holiday break library students to come work on this- at least they will care what tags they are assigning. UCLA’s moving image archiving program is 10 minutes away, so some of their students might want to be involved.  This project isn’t even reporting to me- they just heard that I have an MLS and asked for an opinion on next steps (at least they asked) - so I have no authority really. I’m trying to clean up their mess within the parameters that they will allow.  For example- instead of going with a temp agency, Library Associates is going to vet some people- for the same cost.

          I’m sure you’ve all had the- “it’s just keywords- we can figure it out” discussion before, right?  And dealt with the inherent arrogance and dismissiveness towards the entire profession?  They only hired me to look at their interaction design and IA recently- and they are all about search.  The exciting part is the opportunity to make a huge difference in a new company and really effect change.  The “pulling hair out” part is the convincing that change is necessary.

          The set of videos is really interesting- they have thousands of 30 second clips- you can see them on the site at http://www.spotrunner.com.  My recommendation at this stage is to take their initial categorization effort (categories from the phone book) and turn it into a taxonomy – and make their keywords into a folksonomy and have it accessed and ranked by the search engine. That there will be any tags assigned is better than none and I have repeatedly explained that this will get tossed out and redone again and again, until it’s done properly.

          Considering that my first job 10 years ago _with an MLS_ was as a digital archivist responsible for an entire library for $19 hour, I was pleased to get this much for the tagging folks.  If it has to be baby steps that get repeated over and over, at least there are steps being taken. If I could hire a full team of taxonomists I would, but as we all heard discussed this week on the call, those folks are likely to get laid off in the first year.  I’m hoping to prevent that by building support in increments.

          Thanks for asking!

          Lisa

          Seems like a project for college students or out of work actors? (I
          was going to quip that "I think you are missing a digit in your
          rate". <smile>)

          I understand the need to keep your costs under control. Video is
          notoriously challenging to tag since one has to sit through all of
          the material - no automated tools exist. But are these just 30 and
          60 second segments?

          What are the different types of video you are tagging? How granular
          do you plan on getting? What are the access scenarios?

          From a tactical project perspective, how are you planning on tagging
          content? What are some of the categories?

          How subjective is the tagging? Will you be able to train this level
          of resource to tag appropriately?

          What are you using for technology, by the way?

          I am sure you weren't planning on this kind of discussion, but
          sounds like a fascinating project.

          Seth

          --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups .com, Lisa Colvin <lcolvin@... > wrote:

          > Hi all~
          >
          > As the initial step in a multi-phase digital asset management
          initiative, Spot Runner is undertaking an intensive review of
          existing in-house taxonomies and a critical evaluation of metadata
          currently associated to ad library assets. A concurrent project
          enabling augmented search functionality on the public site is due to
          launch in Q1 2007 &#150;thus the goal of this project is to provide
          improved accuracy in the quality of descriptors available for access
          by the search engine.

          > We are hiring several video metataggers for a 2-4 week effort over
          the next month. I've attached the job description below. Please
          feel free to forward to anyone you believe would be interested.

          > Warm regards,
          >
          > Lisa
          > ____________ _________ _________ _________
          >
          > Lisa Colvin
          >
          > Manager, Information Architecture and Usability
          > lcolvin@...
          > Tel 310 424 2145
          > Fax 310 430 7999
          >
          > Spot Runner
          > 6300 Wilshire Boulevard
          > Twenty-First Floor
          > Los Angeles ,
          w:st="on">CA 90048
          > www.spotrunner. com
          >
          > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ____
          >
          > Video Metatagger (Contract Position, 2-4 weeks, $15/hr)
          >
          > Spot Runner, the world&#146;s first internet-based advertising
          agency, is changing the entire face of a business, 30 seconds at a
          time. We&#146;re using our revolutionary Internet technology and
          leading edge creative services to transform television advertising.
          Now, thanks to Spot Runner, local businesses can market themselves
          with high-quality, professional ads affordably. We&#146;re looking
          for creative, driven, self-starters who want to be on the leading
          edge of developing technology and the television evolution.
          We&#146;re innovative and dynamic. Are you?

          > Position Description and Responsibilities
          >
          > Spot Runner is currently hiring several full time contract Video
          Metataggers to work with our digital Ad Library on an exciting
          project that will help improve online search results.

          > Video Metataggers will
          >
          > * view Ad Library footage and evaluate the keywords currently
          associated to the Ad
          > * search the controlled vocabulary/ approved term lists for the
          proper tag and assign it

          > Qualifications
          >
          > * Bachelor&#146; s degree or equivalent education/ experience
          > * Computer literate (Excel) with good listening, comprehension
          and editing skills
          > * Team player with attention to detail and an ability to work
          independently

          > Spot Runner is based in Los
          Angeles , CA and the position is
          located on-site. The project length is estimated at up to one month,
          but ongoing work may be available after that time. Interviews are
          taking place the week of 12/4-12/8 and the planned start date is
          12/11.

          > Why Spot Runner is special: We create tremendous value for our
          customers and our business model is innovative, highly scalable and
          market leading; Spot Runner employees are energized by their ability
          to work in a fast paced, highly flexible environment where their
          decisions can have a positive affect on the company&#146; s bottom
          line!

          > For more company info visit us @ www.spotrunner. com or apply on-
          line @ http://spotrunnerjo bs.com/jobs_ details1. asp?
          Job_id=85301& Page_Id=6896& Published= 1

        • Keipat Patkei
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2006
            Hi Lisa, Seth, and others,

            Lisa, this comment very much resonates with me: "I’m sure you’ve all had the- “it’s just keywords- we can figure it out” discussion before, right?  And dealt with the inherent arrogance and dismissiveness towards the entire profession?"

            I've encountered this attitude or perception so many times that it's beginning to seem like some kind of chronic pathology plaguing and slowing so many organizational projects that could otherwise be dynamic and revenue-generating.

            So my questions are: Where do you suppose this "arrogance" and "dismissiveness" comes from?  Who are these arrogant and dismissive people and why do they repeatedly get the upper hand?  What is at  the root of this?  Why is it so persistent?  How is it best counter-acted?  Is it impossible to counter-act it?  Our we fighting a losing battle that is, ultimately, socio-economically out of our league (Here I'm thinking of something someone once told me about the reason the University of Chicago library program being one of the first to die--because librarianship is considered to be a "working class" profession and the UofC program could not attract and hold the "right" kind of students).

            Just something to mull over on a Sunday morning.  Thanks for the insight into your challenges.

            Keith DeWeese

            Lisa Colvin <lcolvin@...> wrote:
[...]

            From a tactical project perspective, how are you planning on tagging
> [...]

            independently

            > Spot Runner is based in Los Angeles , CA and the position is
            located on-site. The project length is estimated at up to one month,
            but ongoing work may be available after that time. Interviews are
            taking place the week of 12/4-12/8 and the planned start date is
            12/11.

            > Why Spot Runner is special: We create tremendous value for our
            customers and our business model is innovative, highly scalable and
            market leading; Spot Runner employees are energized by their ability
            to work in a fast paced, highly flexible environment where their
            decisions can have a positive affect on the company&#146; s bottom
            line!

            > For more company info visit us @ www.spotrunner. com or apply on-
            line @ http://spotrunnerjo bs.com/jobs_ details1. asp?
            Job_id=85301& Page_Id=6896& Published= 1

          • Tony Shaw
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 3, 2006
              Lisa/Seth,

              First, a quick practical suggestion for Lisa's immediate need - try Craigslist.  We are in LA and have had tremendous luck finding good quality people for various temp jobs at $15 an hour.  Between the student population and out-of-work actors, the pool of people looking for temp jobs is pretty darn good.

              Second, to the larger question of how to tag lots of images and video.  Have you looked into the ESP Game?  (http://www.espgame.org).  It's a project (funded in part by NSF) aimed at tagging the images on the web.  I don't know if it's available to individual companies to use (it's still in beta) but maybe there's something to be borrowed in the concept.  Basically it's an online game where images appear and the players compete against each other to contribute descriptor words (ie. equivalent to tags).  I'm not familiar with all the details, but the point is, they've turned tagging into a game that people play for free.

              Another example of making tagging tasks fun and rewarding people financially (but at a far lower cost than $15/hour) is Amazon's Mechanical Turk:
              http://www.mturk.com/mturk/welcome

              Neither is an off-the-shelf solution to your problem Lisa, but if the task is large enough then perhaps it makes sense to look at a creative solution like one of these.

              Good luck!

              Tony Shaw
              www.wilshireconferences.com

              Lisa Colvin <lcolvin@...> wrote:
[...]

              From a tactical project perspective, how are you planning on tagging

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 3, 2006

                In some circumstances, people need to run into problems and fail before they will pay attention to the correct approach.  However, they may not seek the correct approach, but only another misguided approach.

                Perhaps the question to ask is “how did we arrive at this circumstance?”  “How is what we are doing now different from what we did before?”

                I have heard a definition of insanity as doing the same things over and over yet expect different outcomes to take place.

                The key is to point out that the current path to a solution has characteristics of past failed approaches.

                Dismissing developing a structure and strategy to organizing information as “figuring out the keywords” is an indication that there is little understanding of the problem and the correct solution.

                I have a new presentation about why some companies are successful with content management and taxonomy and some are not.  Unfortunately, it is an in person presentation – not suitable for con calls.  (But since I charge more than $15 an hour, I am sure its out of the budget.  <smile>)

                We have similar problems at current clients in terms of getting people to understand what needs to be done on an organization wide basis.  Lots of nodding heads but only pockets of real understanding.  We are making progress by showing actual solutions to people and giving them examples of how changing processes and adopting standards will improve business outcomes.  It’s making that clear connection between your project activities and business results that will get their attention.

                But they have to listen to you in the first place in order to follow your recommendations.  That is where experience and tangible examples can impact organizational strategy.  (“Here is how we did it a x company…”  or “Here is what happened on my past project doing x…  “  Or even “ My colleague at Company ABC found that if they did x….  “  etc. )

                Earley & Associates, Inc
                781-444-0287
                781-820-8080 cell

                Seems like a project for college students or out of work actors? (I
                was going to quip that "I think you are missing a digit in your
                rate". <smile>)

                I understand the need to keep your costs under control. Video is
                notoriously challenging to tag since one has to sit through all of
                the material - no automated tools exist. But are these just 30 and
                60 second segments?

                What are the different types of video you are tagging? How granular
                do you plan on getting? What are the access scenarios?

                From a tactical project perspective, how are you planning on tagging
                content? What are some of the categories?

                How subjective is the tagging? Will you be able to train this level
                of resource to tag appropriately?

                What are you using for technology, by the way?

                I am sure you weren't planning on this kind of discussion, but
                sounds like a fascinating project.

                Seth

                --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups .com, Lisa Colvin <lcolvin@... > wrote:

                > Hi all~
                >
                > As the initial step in a multi-phase digital asset management
                initiative, Spot Runner is undertaking an intensive review of
                existing in-house taxonomies and a critical evaluation of metadata
                currently associated to ad library assets. A concurrent project
                enabling augmented search functionality on the public site is due to
                launch in Q1 2007 &#150;thus the goal of this project is to provide
                improved accuracy in the quality of descriptors available for access
                by the search engine.

                > We are hiring several video metataggers for a 2-4 week effort over
                the next month. I've attached the job description below. Please
                feel free to forward to anyone you believe would be interested.

                > Warm regards,
                >
                > Lisa
                > ____________ _________ _________ _________
                >
                > Lisa Colvin
                >
                > Manager, Information Architecture and Usability
                > lcolvin@...
                > Tel 310 424 2145
                > Fax 310 430 7999
                >
                > Spot Runner