Consideration factors for promoting a "proposed" term to "approved"?

  • CJMConnors
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2006
      Hi gang -

      All of my indexing & classification books are at home, which is not
      very helpful right now! Your terms may vary, but hopefully the gist of
      the question will get through.

      I am trying to recall "traditional" methods for promoting terms in a
      controlled vocabulary, so that I can compare them to observations of
      current methods. I've never worried about it, so can't remember.

      For example, working with the Literary or User Warrant methods, how
      often does a term need to appear or be used as a search query before
      it is deemed worthy of fully-approved use? Or is it time based? If so,
      how old does a term need to be before it is entered and usable in a
      controlled vocabulary? I recognize this is dependent upon the
      organization managing the c.v., so please provide context!

      Pointers to articles, books, websites et al will be most appreciated!
      I'll post a summary of responses to the wiki, and also a summary of my
      initial comparison between the "traditional" methods and "what happens
      in reality at a large corporation."

      Thank you!
      Christine

      Christine Connors
      Metadata Architect, Knowledge Management & Information Systems
      Enterprise IT
      Raytheon Company
      Christine_Connors@...