OpenText Livelink - any one with experience?

  • Stephanie Lemieux
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 25, 2006
      Hi,
      I'm working on trying to implement a taxonomy/metadata framework in a
      large Livelink system that doesn't have a faceted classification
      module.
      Has anyone used Livelink in this capacity? If so, let me know - I would
      have some quick questions. I'm having trouble coming up with a user-
      friendly way to create a metadata framework that users will be able to
      cope with easily.
      Thanks!

      Stephanie Lemieux
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 25, 2006
        You can accomplish much of the same functioning using stored queries. It
        looks like the user is navigating but they are really executing a search
        based on metadata applied to documents.

        We used this a great deal at a global consulting firm that I did the
        knowledge strategy and content management system implementation for.

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 25, 2006
          Stephanie,

          Seth beat me to it! I agree with him that Livelink's stored queries can be used to simulate faceted search, since you can use any number of LL classifications in a query, if I remember correctly (the project was over 2 years ago!).

          Regards,

          Bob

          >>Principal
          Associate<<

          Message 4 of 5 , May 2, 2006

            Hi Stephanie,

             Hello Stephanie,

            We are new users of Livelink. We are in the process of creating a taxonomy/thesaurus but it will probably be at least a year before it is completed.  We are just beginning to think about how to integrate the thesaurus in Livelink.  I believe Livelink does have a thesaurus module which integrates the thesaurus with the Search process but I don't believe there is any integration for data input.  We have asked Open Text for info on the Thesaurus Module but have not received anything yet.

            We are also looking at purchasing the Virtual Folders Module for faceted classification.

            Please let us know how you progress and we will do the same.

            Thank you.

            Karen Higgins

            --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, "Stephanie Lemieux" <stephanieangelle.lemieux@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            > I'm working on trying to implement a taxonomy/metadata framework in a
            > large Livelink system that doesn't have a faceted classification
            > module.
            > Has anyone used Livelink in this capacity? If so, let me know - I would
            > have some quick questions. I'm having trouble coming up with a user-
            > friendly way to create a metadata framework that users will be able to
            > cope with easily.
            > Thanks!
            >
            > Stephanie Lemieux

          • Stephanie Lemieux
            Message 5 of 5 , May 2, 2006
              Thanks for your comment...
              I only wish the company for which I'm working was open to purchasing
              new modules. Unfortunately we have to make do without either of the
              add-ons you mentioned.
              So I'm stuck trying to find work-arounds to simulate an integrated
              controlled vocabulary and accomodate people's utter disdain for
              entering metadata. It would probably help if Livelink had a less
              clunky metadata interface, but I'm not one to complain... much. :)

              If I come up with anything earth-shatteringly helpful or original,
              I'll be sure to post it!
              Thanks,
              Stephanie

              --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, "khiggins888" <Karen.Higgins@...>