    Mar 14, 2014
      Thanks for the suggestion. I'll explore giving a webinar version in the future, probably through the American Society for Indexing, but not at this time yet.

      Heather

      On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 4:32 PM, Jim Tivy <jimt@...> wrote:

      Also interested here in Vancouver BC.

      Any chance to have an online presence.

      From: TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com [mailto:TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Paul King
      Sent: March-13-14 8:18 AM
      To: TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [TaxoCoP] Thesaurus creation and back-of-the-book indexing compared presentation 4/12/14 Arlington, MA

      Hello,

      I’m in Idaho and this looks fascinating and fun to me as well! My work involves creating thesauri and ontologies in the technical field. My background is in thesaurus construction within the library field. I work with three others with the same background who would also find this a useful and interesting presentation. I wish we could all attend! I hope we can find this presentation (or one like it) online or, perhaps, at an SLA conference someday!

      Paul King

      Saturday, April 12, 2014
      Robbins Library, The Public Library of Arlington, MA
      700 Massachusetts Avenue, Arlington, MA 02476
      http://www.robbinslibrary.org/using_the_library/hours_and_directions

      Program agenda:
      11:00 - 11:15: Registration
      11:15 - 11:30: Welcome and Announcements
      11:30 - 12:30: "Thesaurus Creation and Back-of-the Book Indexing
      Compared" presented by Heather Hedden
      12:30 - 1:30: Lunch
      1:30 - 2:30: Informal discussions: "Trends in Publishing", "How to
      Survive as an Indexer", and "Indexing for Textbooks"
      2:30: NEASI Board meeting (open to all)

      Presentation description:
      Creating a thesaurus (a structured kind of controlled vocabulary or
      taxonomy used to support indexing and retrieval) in many ways is similar
      to creating a back-of-the-book index, but there are also subtle yet
      significant differences that might not be readily apparent. This
      presentation compares key points, including creating multiple points of
      entry, forming hierarchical structure, and indicating related topics,
      with example in all cases. This presentation is based on a poster
      presentation Heather Hedden had given at the American Society for
      Indexing national conference in Minneapolis in 2010 and a feature
      article published in April - June 2012 issue of Key Words, the bulletin
      of the American Society for Indexing. Whether you have experience in
      book indexing but not in thesauri/taxonomies, or you have experience in
      creating thesauri/taxonomies but not in book indexing, this presentation
      will be of interest.

      Free, except for the cost of lunch ($8) optional

      Pre-registration is required for lunch orders. But if you bring your own
      lunch, walk-in registrations are welcome.
      Further information and registration form at:
      http://www.newenglandindexers.org

      Heather Hedden
      www.hedden-information.com

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic