4665Re: [TaxoCoP] What do you want aspiring taxos to know?

  • Leonard Will
    Jan 2, 2014
      On 2014-01-02 02:28, jennybento@... wrote:
      As I mentioned at Taxo Boot Camp, I'm teaching a Thesaurus Construction class in a graduate library science program.  If you had a class like this or not, I'd love to hear what you would want someone coming out of such a program to know, especially as someone you might hire.  I have a whole twelve weeks to make new taxonomists, and what good would I be if I didn't do any focus groups before finalizing this syllabus?  You're welcome to recommend texts, links or just general ideas, and you're welcome to do it here or email me (jennybento a t g m a i l d o t c o m).  I always hear people complaining they can't find good taxos, so here's your chance to help make some.

      I'd be happy to make all your suggestions into a web page we can refer people to when they come in and ask what they should read to become a taxonomist.

      If you are planning to train professional thesaurus developers, then they should certainly be familiar with the recently published "ISO 25964 – the international standard for thesauri and interoperability with other vocabularies". See <http://www.niso.org/schemas/iso25964/> for details.

      This is as much a textbook as a formal standard, and gives a comprehensive summary of recommendations for good practice, developed by an international working party of information professionals. Though you would have to buy the standard itself, the site has much background information, links to further reading and resources, a data model for a thesaurus, and an email discussion list on which contributions from you and your students would be very welcome.

      Leonard Will

      --
      Willpower Information     (Partners: Dr Leonard D Will, Sheena E Will)
      Information Management Consultants            Tel: +44 (0)20 8372 0092