4461Re: New Here

  • Alice
    Sep 8, 2012
      Julia,
      You write that you have 3 admins tagging already, though without a consistent, controlled vocabulary. Appreciate the value of what you have. Pull together all the terms that have been used in the past ~3 yrs and review that list for repeating patterns and trends (e.g. related to the exhibits), similar tags, duplicate meanings, etc.

      I once worked with a TV network with a somewhat similar situation--editors wrote descriptions of video and then tagged them. It took a while to help them realize that all 15 of their commonly used variations on a concept were really all about the same concept, leaving one valid term and 14 nonpreferred terms. But the editors made the cognitive and practical leap and now get the work done much faster and can retrieve fast and accurately.

      The lesson is to work with what you have, shape it up, and then build on it. No one has a vocabulary more suited to your work than you do!
      --alice

      --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, Julia Maisen <jmaisen@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for all the comments, here's a bit more about my situation.
      >
      > Right now we use Adobe Bridge to add metadata to all our images and a program called SecureDAM (Also called BizSecure, I don't recommend it, and in fact we're currently looking for a new DAM system). We have three admins tagging and uploading photos but there isn't much consistency in keyword choice, which I'd like to change. I'm interested in maybe setting up a taxonomy through Adobe Bridge's keyword panel, but I'm not sure where to start, our keywords can be pretty specific as they deal with scientific names and exhibits. We also have Lightroom, but I don't know a lot about that program and whether it's better taxonomy wise than Bridge.
      >
      > If you're starting from scratch is there a good way to go about setting up your own taxonomy?
      >
      > Thanks.

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic