4459Re: New Here

  • Alice
    Sep 6, 2012
      Welcome to taxonomyworld! Since you're asking about basic "how to create" a taxonomy, several suggestions come to mind.

      --Heather Hedden's book "The Accidental Taxonomist" is a solid and practical foundation.
      --www.TaxoDiary.com has been running a series by Margie Hlava on basic steps in taxonomy creation, starting (I think) with July 23 "General Approaches to Creating a Taxonomy" and continuing each Monday since then.
      --Marcia Zeng's "Construction of Controlled Vocabularies: A Primer" online
      --Upcoming Taxonomy Boot Camp, starting Oct. 16 and always a wonderful kick-starter, will have a basic and advanced track. May be a stretch but very worthwhile.

      Those are just a few good places to start learning. Since you're working with images, if news-oriented, the IPTC is also a good place to start and build on to customize for your purposes.

      Looking forward to a progress report!

      --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, Julia Maisen <jmaisen@...> wrote:
      > Hello,
      > I work for an aquarium, managing their photo archive and DAM system. We don't really have a set taxonomy so I'm looking to learn more about how to create one.
      > Julia
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic