      From: TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com [mailto:TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of David Riecks
      Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2012 8:59 PM
      To: TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [TaxoCoP] New Here

      At 05:58 PM 9/5/2012, Julia Maisen wrote:

      I work for an aquarium, managing their photo archive and DAM system.  We don?t really have a set taxonomy so I?m looking to learn more about how to create one.

      Julia:

      What DAM are you using?  Are you familiar with embedded photo metadata?

      Most photo oriented DAM systems will recognize one of two IPTC (International Press Telecommunications Council http://www.iptc.org/) standards and extract that info when images are ingested/imported.

      The older IPTC standard is the Information Interchange Model or IIM ( http://www.photometadata.org/META-Resources-metadata-types-standards-IPTC-IIM ). The newer version is written using XMP, and is called IPTC Core ( http://www.photometadata.org/META-Resources-metadata-types-standards-IPTC-Core-and-extensions ) and the latest set include IPTC Extension (though only a handful of the multi-user / Enterprise DAMS support the IPTC Extension).

      Information on how to add this info prior to adding to your DAM with tools like Adobe Photoshop & Bridge, Expression Media, and Photo Mechanic are at http://www.photometadata.org/META-Tutorials

      Information on creating Controlled Vocabularies or Taxonomies for use with image collections can be found on my ControlledVocabulary site ( http://controlledvocabulary.com/).  There is a forum for discussing how to go about embedding information in your photos and working with interoperable metadata on the site as well.

      I was a guest on a webinar last week that might be of interest to you and others on this forum.  This was an hour long Q & A between David Diamond (Author of "The DAM Survival Guide") and myself titled "DAM & the Tao of Taxonomy." The recording is now up (as well as the questions from the audience that we didn't get to).  Access to the recording is FREE (no signup required).

      http://w4.picturepark.com/resources/webinars/dam-and-the-tao-of-taxonomy/
      or
      http://bit.ly/ORwM1U

      Hope that gives you a bit to get started.

      David

      --
      David Riecks  (that's "i" before "e", but the "e" is silent)
      Need Keywords for your database? Get the Controlled Vocabulary Solution

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic