4454Re: [TaxoCoP] New Here

  • Lisa Grundy
    Sep 5, 2012
      Hi Julia (and all),

      I work for a public agency based in Los Angeles; we are embarking on creating a taxonomy (from scratch!) which will be used to aid search and navigation in our being-built SharePoint suite of websites and later grow to inform our to-be records-management tool.  In addition, we are struggling with whether or not we should retain OnBase as our document management tool (users do not like it) AND we plan to create/buy a DAM.  All of this, of course, on next to zero dollars because we're a public agency and give new meaning to the word "frugal".

      Julia, if you would like to see how we are getting our taxonomy started and "look over my shoulder" as I engage with the users etc, I would be more than happy to talk/write.  It is an interesting journey, one that keeps wanting to have pitstops in Analysis-Paralysis-Land, but one that will be so worthwhile when we are done.

      To start:
      We tried out a Taxonomy visualization tool (open source) called Tematres.  Great tool for visually explaining to people what we're doing - but for actual work our users prefer Excel.
      Our websites are being rewritten in SharePoint (one done, one other nearly and a third in the early stages).  I gathered these website owners and, using some cool content from the web, explained what we are doing, why we are doing it, and brought up websites that implemented taxonomies that helped the site visitor find content.
      Over the course of a few meetings we hashed out basic termsets (groups of terms each of which feeds a metadata field) we would need and we are now working out how, using our chosen tool, to solve certain relational challenges.
      The trick has been to keep everybody focused on the idea that our taxonomy is a tool to help site visitors find content, NOT to inform them about our ever-changing organizational structure.
      We expect to have our Proof-of-concept termsets ready for the first website in about 2-3 weeks.  Once we have at least 2 sites tagged (probably end of October because the second one won't be done until mid October), we can examine them for search and for navigation.  If the POC is a success, the foundational users will teach and train others.  If not, we have a small enough group and body of content to go back and tweak.

      Best,
      Lisa

      On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 3:58 PM, Julia Maisen <jmaisen@...> wrote:

      Hello,

      I work for an aquarium, managing their photo archive and DAM system.  We don’t really have a set taxonomy so I’m looking to learn more about how to create one.

      Julia

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic