4288Re: [TaxoCoP] Re: Taxonomy Executive Summary for Executives / Senior Managers

  • Matt Moore
    Feb 5, 2012
      Claude,

      "2. Is it possible to have more than one 'Enterprise' taxonomy? Contrary to other respondents, I tend to think that there should be only one enterprise taxonomy, but it contains multiple facets."

      The question asked whether it was possible to have more than one enterprise taxonomy. And the answer is "yes". Whether its desirable is another matter.

      An enterprise taxonomy should map the terms and semantic structures used in a business. So if the business is a completely integrated whole with no operational differences or political conflicts then creating a single enterprise taxonomy should be a cinch. The issue the working taxonomist has is that this is rarely the case. Yes, we can use synonym structures. Yes, we can use facets. But what we cannot (& therefore should not) do is attempt to impose a unity that isn't there.

      N.B. Broadly I agree with you. People have more in common than they think and a common enterprise taxonomy can be a very powerful thing.

      Cheers,

      Matt Moore
      +61 423 784 504
      Sent from my iPhone