4275Re: [TaxoCoP] Re: Taxonomy Executive Summary for Executives / Senior Managers

  • Bob DuCharme
    Feb 1, 2012
      I'll take a crack at these:

      >1. The presentations I looked at inferred that a controlled vocabulary is a requisite part of a taxonomy...is that true?

      I consider a controlled vocabulary to be just a set of terms that you have to pick from. "Yes" and "No" is a controlled vocabulary, and so is the set of U.S. state abbrevation codes, and so is "Cat, Dog, Mammal, Collie, Manx." A taxonomy is a controlled vocabulary with extra metadata, especially about relationships between the terms: Mammal is a broader term for both Cat and Dog, Dog is a broader term for Collie, etc.. A taxonomy is often displayed as a tree showing the "broader than" relationships.

      >2. Is it possible to have more than one 'Enterprise' taxonomy?

      Taxonomies can serve several purposes, so a given enterprise can easily have more than one.

      >3. If you have multiple taxonomies coming out of a single controlled vocabulary, how does that affect search?

      I think that's a question for whoever designed the search engine in question.

      >4. On the flipside of question #1, can you have multiple controlled vocabularies contributing to a single taxonomy?

      Sure: I can have an animal vocabulary and a plant vocabulary that contribute to a combined taxonomy. A good taxonomy tool will let you configure something that looks like a single taxonomy to certain users but behind the scenes (out of those users' view, at least) is actually a combination of several, separately mantained taxonomies that may have extra metadata added as part of the combined view.

      Bob DuCharme
      TopQuadrant

      On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 12:08 PM, John O'Gorman <jogorman@...> wrote:

      I was looking for information related to David's request and came away from the presentations listed on Mary's link (below) with a few questions. I could start another thread but allow me to begin the questions here:

      1. The presentations I looked at inferred that a controlled vocabulary is a requisite part of a taxonomy...is that true?
      2. Is it possible to have more than one 'Enterprise' taxonomy?
      3. If you have multiple taxonomies coming out of a single controlled vocabulary, how does that affect search?
      4. On the flipside of question #1, can you have multiple controlled vocabularies contributing to a single taxonomy?

      I found the connection between taxonomies and 'search' kind of confusing. I can see using a taxonomy for navigation and a controlled vocabulary for limiting search results, but a taxonomy by itself (unless the answer to question # 1 is always "Yes") seems a stretch.

      Thanks.

      John O'