4185Re: [TaxoCoP] What ever happened to folksonomies?

  • Gary Carlson
    Sep 1, 2011
      Hello Suzanne,

      In my latest project for a very large SP 2010 implementation we were able to get the list of Enterprise Keywords (over 100,000) and the number of times they were used in the user profile pages.  Obviously there was a lot of noise, but when we looked at keywords that had been used 5 or more times the number came down significantly and we were able to identify a number of potential terms as well as synonyms for existing terms in the term store.

      This proved to be a great way to clean up the Enterprise Keywords list.  We did a few other things using the promote and merge functions in SP to clean things up and reduce the creation of keyword that had the same label as terms that were in existing term sets.

      Obviously, in this scenario, access to a taxonomist and some SP 2010 technical resources was quite helpful.

      Gary Carlson

      On Sep 1, 2011, at 9:13 AM, Suz wrote:

      I am interested to hear Gary's note referring to having a "taxonomist review trends on a scheduled basis". I recently asked for an export of the Enterprise Keywords from our SharePoint farm and got a spreadsheet of 3,693 keywords. Some were pretty nasty, e.g. full sentences, full stops (i.e. the keyword was ".") but others could be valuable. If only I had a dedicated taxonomist to review it for me.

      Gary also mentioned metrics on usage - I assume that means in Sharepoint? Would you care to share more on metrics for keywords/social tagging in detail?

      Best Regards,
      Suzanne Edwards (nee Sheppard)

      --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, Gary Carlson <garyecarlson@...> wrote:

      > Some notion of "folksonomy" has definitely shed its long hair and anarchist tendencies for a suit and respectability. As mentioned, SharePoint now has the Enterprise Keywords and there are plenty of other apps taking advantage of user generated tags. However, despite the decrease in buzz I am finding them to be excellent sources of emerging taxonomy terms/trends. However, on most of my projects we have been able to put some metrics on their usage or have a taxonomist review trends on a scheduled basis. I am not sure if there has been a whole lot of value derived from them otherwise, at least behind the firewall.
      >
      > I'd also argue that twitter hashtags and hashtags used in similar corporate feeds serve a very similar role of folksonomies and offer the same benefits for end users and taxonomists looking for trends.
      >

      > On Aug 30, 2011, at 3:47 AM, Lee Romero wrote:
      >
      > > I suspect that part of it is that it's a functionality that has now "gone corporate". So it was the kind of topic that seemed exciting but now that it's "been done" it's not so exciting any more.
      > >
      > > It is even in SharePoint now, so how much less exciting could it be, right? :)
      > >
      > > Where I have seen it implemented internally, it doesn't seem to get as much uptake as you might hope based on the intent of empowering users to influence search, taxonomy, etc. I still don't really know why - maybe it's still "too technical" for the bulk of users to really care to do tagging??
      > >
      > > Regards
      > > Lee
      > >

      > > On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 9:32 PM, Matt Moore <innotecture@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > Hello,
      > >
      > > I'm writing a presentation for the Australian Society of Indexers and they want me to talk about folksonomies. There are a few case studies that I can almost recite in my sleep now (e.g. Mitre's onomi) but folksonomy as an area of interest seemed to peak at the end of last decade and it's been a bit quiet for the last couple of years.
      > >
      > > What are other people's perspectives? Do you disagree?
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > >
      > > Matt

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic