4138Re: [TaxoCoP] Re: Fwd: [CODE4LIB] TemaTres 1.4 released! : TemaTres is an open source vocabulary server

  • marijane white
    Aug 4, 2011
      Donna,

      I suppose I should have been clearer that I had experience using it in my original message!

      I haven't tried the current version yet, but as I recall the installation requires some IT skills -- you need to have a server with PHP, a web server (like Apache), and a database server (like MySQL) installed.  There are a number of free packages available that will install the whole stack, which can make the process much easier.  I've used one called XAMPP, for example.  Once the prerequisites are in place, getting the software itself up and running isn't too difficult, I think you have to configure maybe two files and then you're in business.

      Much of the documentation is only in Spanish, as is the source code, but with the help of web translation tools I didn't find this to be much of an obstacle.  (Also, both the wiki and the software's user interface can be configured to display one of several languages.)  If you have a problem and contact the developers about it, they are very willing to help, but the language barrier can be an issue.  Once it's up and running, though, I found it pretty easy and enjoyable to use.  I was also extremely grateful for the fact that it is free -- at the time I was using it, I had no budget for tools, and would have gone without any otherwise.

      -marijane

      On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 9:58 AM, Donna M. Fritzsche <donnamarie@...> wrote:

      Hi,
      Thanks for following up on this Marijane.

      I just had an aha! moment - this is free software - and you have used it.

      We need more announcements like this!
      We should have used some of this brain space to discuss the tool.

      Can I ask, did you find it easy to install, etc.

      Thanks,
      Donna