      From: marijane white
      Sent: Aug 4, 2011 11:12 AM
      To: TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [TaxoCoP] Re: Fwd: [CODE4LIB] TemaTres 1.4 released! : TemaTres is an open source vocabulary server

      I am curious, how do you all define "commercial", as in "commercial announcement"?  I ask because TemaTres in particular is an open source product primarily developed by a library school in Argentina.  Is that commercial?  I saw the announcement on the Code for Libraries list, a place where open source software announcements are very common.  I don't think I would have forwarded the announcement if it were for a proprietary product produced by a private company. (Nor would I have forwarded it if I hadn't used older versions of the software myself.)

      -marijane

      On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 8:17 AM, Alice <aredmondneal@...> wrote:

      I am primarily a taxonomist who also wears a vendor hat, so I'm especially attuned to all the commentary about vendors' roles in the community and the importance of avoiding blatant promotion in this context. I know some promotional stuff has snuck in--I object strongly to extended posts about "new features". On this post, it was fine up to "Details below." I do not feel press releases or other commercial announcements belong in the discussion portion. However, such announcements have value and shouldn't be banished. They might be segregated somehow, with a link that people can choose to follow or not, and they should be limited in length and frequency.

      Jenny, I second Patrick's thanks for the survey opportunity. Just needed a little space for a comment (opening a can of worms).

      -alice

      --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, Seth Earley <seth@...> wrote:

      > Hi Marijane,
      >
      > Though the info is appreciated, we discourage product announcements on the list (to be fair to the other vendors).
      > I am open to suggestions as to how we might handle these in the future...
      >
      > Seth
      > Seth
      >
      > Seth Earley
      > CEO