      From: Seth Earley
      Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2011 1:55 AM
      To: TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [TaxoCoP] Re: Fwd: [CODE4LIB] TemaTres 1.4 released! : TemaTres is an open source vocabulary server

      Hi Matt,

      There has never been any restriction on announcements from other companies as long as they focused on a topic of interest to the group.  There have been many announcements of Webinars  and conferences on this list over the years other than those produced by my organization.

      I find it hard to believe that you think our topics are not of interest to KM professionals.  According to my records you have been to a few out of the over 100 calls that we have delivered over the past five years.   We consistently hear that our events are of value and provide free approaches and methodologies for the community.

      Here is a note I sent to a couple of folks off list.  I am sending this so that people understand the perspective that I have on this group and how I will adapt the group to suit the needs of the community .

      -------

      Vendor Pitches versus Educational Calls:

      As one of my notes indicated, yes, our calls are part of a marketing activity.  However we do not pitch our services as the topic of the call.  I think there is a difference between doing a call as education and getting some marketing out of that versus doing a call to just sell services.

      We have worked over the years to contribute to the community and educate the industry.  I have also tried to maintain a spam free tone for the group.

      We give away a great deal of IP in our calls (I have been told by many people) and competitors consistently attend the calls.

      So to characterize our calls as being about selling services is a little unfair in my opinion – there are more non  prospects on these calls than prospects.

      There is a significant cost to running these calls and in actuality, most of the attendees are not people who buy from us.  There is a pretty large group who attend call after call in some cases year after year.  We have actually been considering charging for the calls again so my comment was not flip (I realize it may have appeared that way after I sent it off)

      In any case, I will survey the list members to understand what kinds of information they would like to see.  If I take away the product pitching prohibition then we may see a significant change to the tone of the list.  I have nothing against vendor information, but I do see lists with a great deal of announcements without contributions of members or interactions on the list.    Many vendor pitches are little more than marketing points with little practitioner value.

      -------------------------

      As I say, there has never been a restriction on vendors promoting educational calls that were not direct product pitches.  This is consistent with most conferences where I have spoken at over the past several years.  If the group wants product pitches we can certainly accommodate this.

      Your comment: “Selective enforcement (by a vendor representative, no less) of policies on who gets to post what to this list does more, I would venture, to stifle participation than additional vendor postings will. “

      Our policies have been consistent.  I am the list founder and have put a great deal of energy into this list maintaining a tone of helpfulness and community. I very rarely restrict any information or ban a member. (Perhaps one message and one member over the past 6 years).   The last time that I had feedback on a vendor’s product pitch was from another vendor who thought that things were being selectively enforced in the other direction – that we were letting too many vendors talk about their products.

      Realize also that a call can cost several thousands of dollars and the entire call series over the past 6 years has provided less than a dozen opportunities. Clearly this is good marketing but is not effective selling.  We would be better off not putting any attention into the group and focusing on paid sponsorships of conferences where we could pitch at will… J

      Most of the time, these events appeal to practitioners who are interested in learning how to do these types of projects (contrary to your assertion).  But again, if people are no longer interested in these calls or have moved beyond them, we are better off charging for those who still have an interest in the topics.  As I say, I will go with a survey to get to the needs of the full group.  We’ll see. Based on this limited feedback I am leaning toward discontinuing them (which we have considered at a number of points in the past) or once again charging for the information.

      There are a couple of other moderators who might want to speak up.  Or we can use this as an opportunity to recruit new moderators.

      If you value this group an care about the tone, then let me know (preferably off list at this point).   If you value the free calls, let us know that as well.

      Thanks.

      CEO

      EARLEY & ASSOCIATES, Inc.
      Cell: 781-820-8080