4119RE: [TaxoCoP] Re: Fwd: [CODE4LIB] TemaTres 1.4 released! : TemaTres is an open source vocabulary server

    Aug 1, 2011

      Sounds like a reasonable approach.

      Seth

      From: TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com [mailto:TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Gary Carlson
      Sent: Monday, August 01, 2011 5:05 PM
      To: TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [TaxoCoP] Re: Fwd: [CODE4LIB] TemaTres 1.4 released! : TemaTres is an open source vocabulary server

      I agree with Jenny, but share the concern that too many vendor announcements could impact the value of this list.

      However, given the small number of taxonomy tool vendors it may be worthwhile to allow product announcements with the caveat that the announcements must be about new taxonomy related features and that vendors should limit their posts to a few times a year.

      Otherwise, I find the non-commercial tone of this list to be valuable and an asset to the list.

      Gary Carlson

      On Aug 1, 2011, at 1:05 PM, jennybenevento wrote:

      Personally, the traffic of this list is not so out of control that I would like anything related to taxonomy banned. There's not a ton of resources out there for taxonomists and a lot of us work alone, so more info is not enough!

      Announcements of new software are WAY more relevant to me as someone IN the community of practice than most of the webinars. This isn't any disrespect to the webinars, but they are mostly directed toward people who are not professional taxonomists. A lot of them repeat annually making them even less relevant.

      I realize there are a lot of people on this list that joined because they are not professional taxos, and they have been tasked with making one. Because of that, I tolerate the webinar ads. But as someone who does taxonomy every day, new technology is far more interesting.

      Just my professional opinion :)
      ~J

      --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, Seth Earley <seth@...> wrote:

      > Hi John O',
      >
      > As the group founder I have tried to have a consistent policy around not directly promoting products and services on the list. I consider announcements around webinars to be educational as opposed to product or service promotion. Of course those are in support of a marketing effort but the events don't focus directly on a product or offering but rather on a topic of interest to the group.
      >
      > For example, a webinar might have Smartlogic as a sponsor or speaker but the topic would be about faceted search, etc
      >
      > Perhaps you can point to some instances of direct promotion so I am clear on what you consider to be inconsistent with regard to the policy. (Let's take that exchange off list since it is likely to not be of interest to the community)
      >
      > I am trying to be fair to vendors and service providers while maintaining the educational tone and purpose of the group.
      >
      > I am open to suggestions as to how this can be addressed moving forward.
      >
      > Seth
      >
      > Seth Earley
      > CEO
      > Earley & Associates, Inc