3858RE: [TaxoCoP] Good taxonomy management tools with ability to add and maintain custom term attributes

    Feb 6, 2011

      After I posted a note saying that Wordmap had some functions in the area of custom metadata, there were several responses that said in essence “all taxo management tools have this”.

      That is kind of like saying “all content management tools have workflow”.  Yes, it is a checkbox, but for anyone who has developed workflow, the way this capability is implemented can sometimes be nearly unusable.

      We worked with a tool a number of years ago by a major vendor with a well known consulting firm. The workflows that were created by the consulting firm using the software were not at all user friendly and the customer ultimately scrapped the project and purchased another workflow tool.

      In some applications, custom metadata is hidden, complex or overly cumbersome.

      At the end of the day, it is always about usability and fitness to purpose since most vendors of particular tools will “check the box” that their system has a particular capability.  Always investigate with your data and your scenarios.

      Here is a comment on this from Paul Wlodarczyk a consultant at Earley who has done numerous product bake offs in the taxonomy management and search enhancement tool space:

      ---------------------------

      It’s true that MOST of them have term attributes that can be defined and any meta can be added to a node. One tool even lets you put attributes on relationships (the example they us is “Tony Blair” and “UK” have a relationship of “prime minster of” that has attributes for the start and end date of that relationship).

      Wordmap was unique in that you were explicit if the meta was specific to a system. It was nice to see that exposed in the GUI in a clear fashion, rather than hidden in some admin config file that determines how to do an extraction from the taxonomy to a specific consuming system. We see a lot of implementations using other tools where the attributes are full of content for a consuming system (sometimes even pages of HTML), but it’s not clear in the GUI that the metadata is for a specific consuming system.

      Cheers,

      Paul

      -----------------------

      I think the bottom line is to look at your use cases and test according to specific scenarios to understand how the tools handle custom metadata.

      By the way, if anyone wants to update the Wiki entry on taxo management tools just request membership and edit away!

      http://taxocop.wikispaces.com/TaxoTools.

      CEO

      EARLEY & ASSOCIATES, Inc.
      Cell: 781-820-8080