358RE: Metadata and content reuse

  • Susan Hensley
    Oct 3, 2005
      Hi Seth,

      We are gleaning a certain amount of Metadata from the
      folder structure, which we have cleaned up quite a bit
      to reflect a basic level of product information and
      groupings. This may not be extensible in the future
      however, as we need to start populating some content
      with multiple values.

      We also have only a general sense of what we want our
      end state to be, and figuring out the right level of
      granularity in content, and the right amount of reuse
      will be discovered only after we try things out, and
      that's always a difficult sell.

      My sense of how data differs from content rests on the
      complexity of how content can be consumed differently
      in different contexts. Those differences can be
      modeled, but at some point the complexity seems to
      require more work than seems reasonable to maintain.
      While you can build crosswalks and mappings to
      translate data into another schema, translating
      content doesn't really work that way.

      Narrative flow and language tuning are more difficult
      beasts to modify stategically than data formats or
      changing table structures. Content writers have more
      at stake than a mainframe repository; they also know
      more about why the content was built in a certain way.
      Information mapping, as Marcel suggested, is a good
      model, but we are a very de-centralized organization
      and its unlikely something that controlled could ever
      be fully implemented. We spend a lot of time trying
      to get people to voluntarily follow standards.

      Historically Metadata has not been respected by the
      business proponents, but now we have the developers
      clamoring for it as a solution to content reuse
      issues.
      There's an opportunity to finally start implementing
      useful taxonomies - and a danger that it will be
      oversold as a solution to any content issue.

      Susan

      Susan Hensley
      metta_4@...
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic