354RE: [TaxoCoP] New Members

    Oct 2, 2005
      On our last Taxonomy Community call, we had a couple of presenters from the data side.  Danette McGilvray who spoke about data quality and R Todd Stephens who spoke about metadata and taxonomies based on "consumer" behavior.  He also had a couple of slides that showed the relationship between metadata standards and taxonomy development.

      What was interesting to me was the diverse range of evaluations for the call.  Some people said it was great - just what they needed.  Others said it did not explain the relationship of taxonomies to enterprise metadata adequately.

      I have never had so wide a range of feedback on a call.  I think part of this is due to the many interpretations of metadata and the role of metadata standards (or perhaps the broad range of definitions, applications, guidelines, etc).  And of course the term "taxonomy" is now substituting in people's minds for a wide range of problems and issues in an organization.  Content strategy and integration projects are now labeled "taxonomy" projects.  I think at their core they are taxonomy projects, but content strategy entails more than just taxonomy development.

      So I think the challenge is we have two concepts that have a wide variety of interpretations by themselves and now we are asking how those  concepts are related.  The number of ways they are related are some factor of the number of ways they may each  be interpreted.

      Does that make sense?

      Earley & Associates, Inc

      781-444-0287

      781-820-8080 cell

      Next taxo conference call October 5th, 2 PM EDT
      "Auto Categorization and Automatic Taxonomy Generation"
      Registration and agenda at www.earley.com/events.htm

      Taxonomy Community of Practice