3363Re: [TaxoCoP] data modeling and taxonomy

  • Keipat Patkei
    Jan 5, 2010
      John, great response.  Actually, this is terrific thread over all, and thank you, Heather, Gabriel, and Bob for providing terrific information getting at the crux of defining parts of the whole.

      As some of you know, one of my frustrations over the years has been the ongoing view or use of the term "taxonomy" to describe sort of the beginning and the end of all enterprise management of data everywhere, i.e. "the be all and end all" or "THE solution" rather than being viewed as "A solution" or part of a larger system of models and decision-making depending on the nature of the enterprise, required need, expected outcomes, and so on.  I suppose my real frustration comes when "taxonomy" limitations are then considered a "trap" or "failure" by those who think it can work around or make up for deficiencies in other systems with which it must co-exist/integrate.

      Getting at just where taxonomy, data modeling, and ontology specification begin, end, and overlap is really welcome. I've been actively engaged in all points raised in this thread in the course of my work of the last ten years; but you've provided me with some new ways of thinking about and describing/communicating the work that I do.  It's particularly welcome at the beginning of what I know is going to be a great year for all of us.  Thanks, again.

      Keith DeWeese

      Central Administration/Tribune Technology-Architecture

      Tribune Company-Tribune Interactive

      kdeweese@.../keith@...

      +1-312-527-8740 (w)/+1-312-286-3568 (c)