3359Re: [TaxoCoP] data modeling and taxonomy

  • Matt Moore
    Jan 4, 2010
      Gabriel's has got it there for me. The key differences are that data modelers work with the mapping of structured data (i.e. entities and rows in databases) whereas taxonomists work with unstructured information. Organizations often want to use the structures in their database applications (e.g. customer attributes in their CRM system) in their taxonomies (e.g. applying this information to proposal documentation). This is a good idea in principle but some care needs to be taken with the implementation for it to be usable. Discussions around Master Data Management should probably involve both.

      From: Gabriel Tanase <gabtanase@...>
      To: TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tue, January 5, 2010 8:30:53 AM
      Subject: Re: [TaxoCoP] data modeling and taxonomy

      A data modeler is expected to create blueprint designs (known as 'logical data models') for data structures that are then physically implemented in databases, for use by software application( s).
      As part of logical data modeling a data modeler may create a generalization/ specialization hierarchy of types (classes, entities), which - IMHO - is the area where data modeling and taxonomy meet most intensely.

      Regards,
      Gabriel
      http://www.linkedin .com/in/gabrielt anase

      2010/1/4 Heather Hedden <heather@hedden. net>

      How do data modeling and taxonomy relate?
      I'm curious to hear from those of you who have done data modeling how you would describe what a data modeler does.
      Thanks.

      -- Heather
      --
      Heather Hedden