      From: Nick Berry [mailto:infoglutton@...]
      Sent: Thursday, November 5, 2009 09:36 AM
      To: TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [TaxoCoP] Re: Most common facets used within organisations

      These are not just facets - they are also master data elements that typically end up in data warehouses for business intelligence purposes.  Right now we're spearheading an MDM initiative, and our top "facets" or entities are:

      • Customer (attributes include name, address/location, activities, purchases, member/nonmember, etc)
      • Article (which is the same as Product - attributes include size, color, price, fabric/material, brand, gender, seasonality, status, etc...but an Article could be a rain jacket or an Adventure Trip or a ski rental)
      • Site (refers to stores, channels, distribution centers, trailheads, etc; attributes include name, location, type, etc)
      • Vendor (includes manufacturers, distributors, etc; attributes are name, address, associated Articles, etc)

      We are applying standard IA principles to these elements - interviewing users to understand their needs, doing inventories of the data and how it is used, setting up taxonomies to manage relationships between facets and attributes, etc.  Except in the MDM world these tasks are called data profiling, data integration, data quality, data governance, etc.

      If there are other people on this list doing MDM and/or BI, I'd love to chat with you about data governance, org structure, tools, etc.

      Cheers,
      Nick

      nick berry, content architect & taxonomist

      Recreational Equipment, Inc. (REI)

      253-437-7860 (p) / 253-395-8201 (f)

      On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 12:49 AM, stephaniefkmg <stephanie@earley. com> wrote:

      This has been a fascinating discussion, weaving between business uses and theoretical concepts.

      I'll be summarizing the main points in a blog post next week and on the TaxoCoP wiki, quoting from this discussion.

      If any of the participants prefer not being quoted, please email me at stephanie@earley. com

      Thanks!
      S.

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic