      From: Leonard Will [mailto:L.Will@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, November 3, 2009 04:00 AM
      To: TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [TaxoCoP] Most common facets used within organisations

      On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 at 16:23:51, Matt Moore <innotecture@ yahoo.com> wrote
      >Leonard,
      >
      >What would appear on your list?
      >
      >Cheers,
      >
      >Matt

      I don't think that it is possible to have a "definitive" list that suits
      all circumstances. The references Patrick Lambe has given discuss the
      reasons.

      Two issues are sometimes confused when discussing facets:

      1. The need to distinguish between

      * "facets" (sometimes called "fundamental facets"), which are the
      mutually exclusive categories we are talking about here, such as
      objects, materials, activities, places, abstract concepts, and so on,

      and

      * "characteristics of division", such as "colour" or "age" which are
      used to subdivide a facet into _arrays_, headed by a "node label" such
      as "automobiles by colour" or "people by age"; these would be part of
      the "objects" or "people" facets respectively.

      2. The fact that in specifying a citation order of facets in a compound
      subject you may have to list a single facet more than once, depending on
      its role. For example, in the CRG / BC2 list quoted in William Denton's
      paper

      * thing/entity
      * kind
      * part
      * property
      * material
      * process
      * operation
      * patient
      * product
      * by-product
      * agent
      * space
      * time

      terms from the "people" facet may be used as both "patient" and "agent",
      and terms from the "object" facet may be used as "thing", "product",
      "by-product" , and so on. This makes is difficult to specify a consistent
      combination order which can be mechanised based solely on the names of
      facets - the entries in the above list are not really names of facets in
      the sense defined in 1 above..

      This issue is not so much of a problem in post-coordinate applications,
      but as this list is talking about "taxonomies" (i.e. classification
      schemes), rather than thesauri, I presume that some pre-coordination
      will often be required.

      3. It is difficult to find a term to name a facet to which people and
      organisations both belong: "agent" can give the misleading impression
      that it needs to be the pro-active member in a process; "actor" is
      liable to misinterpretation. Has anyone found a good term for this?

      Leonard

      --
      Willpower Information (Partners: Dr Leonard D Will, Sheena E Will)
      Information Management Consultants Tel: +44 (0)20 8372 0092

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic