3307Re: [TaxoCoP] Most common facets used within organisations

    Nov 3, 2009
      Hi Matt

      As I'm sure you know, I discuss a range of candidates for facets in my book Organising Knowledge. For a very good discussion and some excellent references see William Denton's paper How to Make a Faceted Classification and Put It On the Web http://www.miskatonic.org/library/facet-web-howto.html - the Spiteri reference in particular is worth checking out, for the principles of facet identification. Denton's piece provides a nice bridge between the information science and facets in use, with some good examples.

      The nice thing about facets is that there are only a finite number to choose from, however one wants to slice the world. More important it seems to me(and we lose sight of this sometimes) is which of the possible candidates should we select and why? That means finding a way of determining salience and usefulness for your taxonomy "customers". What is each facet going to do for you? It's not always about findability - facets can also serve content management functions (it's a content type: press release, therefore it needs to be routed for approval).

      Best

      Patrick

      Patrick Lambe

      website: www.straitsknowledge.com

      Have you seen our KM Method Cards or
      Organisation Culture Cards?

      On Nov 3, 2009, at 3:05 AM, Matt Moore wrote:

      John,

      So where is this definitive list? References please!

      Cheers,

      Matt