3299Re: [TaxoCoP] Most common facets used within organisations

  • Heather Hedden
    Nov 2, 2009
      I wouldn't consider a sub-type or category within a facet as a facet. I would count six facets from the list below.
      Six is a better number anyway for implementing faceted search.

      -- Heather

      Heather Hedden
      Hedden Information Management
      Heather@...
      www.Hedden-Information.com

      John O'Gorman wrote:
      In the post...count 'em (19). No references. :~)

      John O'

      "
      The definitive list of primary facets (a facet being defined as a mutually exclusive and exhaustive list of related entities) has nineteen entries - all of which are semantically consistent with the exchange of information between two parties. In other words, primary facets have to do with Agents (people and organizations), Assets (digitalconceptual and physical), Locations (coordinate, named and relative), Actions (activities, events, processes and tasks), Functions (disciplines, roles and uses) and finally States (cycle, point, span and status).

      "

      So where is this definitive list? References please!

      Cheers,

      Matt

      The definitive list of primary facets (a facet being defined as a mutually exclusive and exhaustive list of related entities) has nineteen entries - all of which are semantically consistent with the exchange of information between two parties. In other words, primary facets have to do with Agents (people and organizations) , Assets (digital, conceptual and physical), Locations (coordinate, named and relative), Actions (activities, events, processes and tasks), Functions (disciplines, roles and uses) and finally States (cycle, point, span and status).

      Secondary, tertiary and quaternary facets can be created by combining primary facets, using a mechanism analogous to the one for creating molecules or compounds in chemistry.

      Hope that helps.

      John O'