2824Re: [TaxoCoP] Re: Sounds like a job for Knowledge Integrator!

    Jan 12, 2009
      Keith

      Thanks for this reply. I don't think there is such a thing as "success" in most taxonomy work there is only the possibility of improvement, much of it hard-won.

      What worried me about the reaction to the CMSWatch thing was how easily we can be distracted from the very difficult challenges we face (and I don't think yours are atypical) and how easily we are dismayed by a very distorted representation of what we do. We're in a tough, demanding, rapidly evolving field. We should in theory be used to remaining constant through such misrepresentation because we're used to it - though we might be annoyed that this comes as a sideswipe from people who should know better.

      BTW, Theresa Regli (who has a strong background in taxonomy work herself, which compounds the misdemeanour in my view) was the author of that particular prediction, and has come back to defend herself quite robustly on my blog at www.organisingknowledge.com.

      Maybe I'm being more cranky and stuffy than I need to be, but I really think we have to be more assertive and confident about what we do. Now Taxonomeus might be a step in that direction!!

      Best

      Patrick

      Patrick Lambe

      website: www.straitsknowledge.com

      Have you seen our KM Method Cards?   http://www.straitsknowledge.com/store/

      On Jan 13, 2009, at 1:23 PM, Keipat Patkei wrote:

      Patrick,

      I agree with you 100%, but I can't dismiss the fact, either, that, though we all know politics can kill a taxonomy project, many of them can't succeed without politics, too. Also, I can't ignore the fact that your successes have not necessarily been mine, and that's just the way it is.

      I think the renaming of titles, whether it's to help get on comparable, 21st century payscales with other co-workers or just clarify what we do within the confines of a string of letters that can fit on a conference badge, is a real and constant challenge for many.

      Also, in some environments where marketing and sales are "all," the challenges might be even worse, and these exercises in coming up with new titles speaks to constant attempts of people to defend what they do and know; or appease and placate "stakeholders" who have been over sold on the benefits of taxonomy by not being able to understand it in the first place because they've never directly engaged in it!

      I think it's all about trying to communicate something of what we do during times of intense scrutiny and justification. Some have it better than others, others are just learning, and still others are giving up all based on their individual realms of experience.

      Also, I appreciate the CMS Watch prediction because it's allowed me to rethink and recast it to my benefit, which, as I think I've mentioned, now means to me that the practice of taxonomy isn't dead because CVs aren't going anywhere fast, but the notion that a singular taxonomy or even the which ever ones might be tacked on to CMS systems and sold as meeting all needs just might be. And if that taxonomy that does meet all needs is "out there," please, someone, help me find it because it would make things a whole lot easier at my work place :-)

      BTW, I'm quoting you frequently in a year end, state of the taxonomy report I'm currently writing, even though I no longer know if any amount of review of my last years successes cast against your great thoughts is really going to matter to my stakeholders' fantasy land expectations of what quality results should be or what passes as precise automatic tagging.

      At this point, with IT still not able to "get it" and vocally dismissing it, and "Marketing" thinking it can do it better, and Editors/Producers still thinking they should just tag any old words to content "because the social networkers and folksonomists say we don't need taxonomy"--all this even after countless presentations and demos and successful launches and numbers going up--I'm just not sure what will help--maybe calling myself Taxonomeus, God of Taxonomy is worth a try!

      Thanks,

      Keith DeWeese

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic