      From: TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com [mailto:TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Torrie Hodgson
      Sent: Friday, January 09, 2009 2:09 PM
      To: TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [TaxoCoP] The "O" Word

      Hi Matt,

      My favorite relevant title from a previous job was, "Knowlege Integrator." Regrettably I delayed requisitioning the cape and spandex suit the name always evoked for me. I also had to resist the temptation to adopt the hands-on-hips superhero stance when I introduced myself.

      In my family of four there are two librarians, four readers/collectors of unusual dictionaries, one old-school mainframe systems analyst, and one with an actual linguistics degree. We tend to refer to ourselves as "button sorters," sort of the natural counterpart to "bean counters." However, I can't see that phrase really catching on as a job title.

      Thanks,

      Torrie Thomas (now just identified as "Consultant")

      On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 5:47 PM, Matt Moore <laalgadger@...> wrote:

      Nick,

      Given that the term "ontology" has been almost completely absorbed by computer scientists, I think we need to be cautious about taking on a label - esp. as there seems to be increasing hype around the semantic web without a corresponding level of understanding (now there's a topic a would love Common Craft to apply their trade mark "Plain English" presentation skills to). Every information structure is not a ontology (and nor should it be).

      The label should describe taxonomists by the benefits we offer people and not the technology we use to achieve that (which can vary from free-form folksonomies to highly structured ontologies).

      "Information Architect" is actually a damn good description of what a taxonomist does - but that label is applied to all kinds of roles & work now.

      "Findologist"?
      "Meaning Mapper"?
      "Metadata Mechanic"?

      Cheers,