2809The "O" Word

  • Matt Moore
    Jan 1, 2009
      Nick,

      Given that the term "ontology" has been almost completely absorbed by computer scientists, I think we need to be cautious about taking on a label - esp. as there seems to be increasing hype around the semantic web without a corresponding level of understanding (now there's a topic a would love Common Craft to apply their trade mark "Plain English" presentation skills to). Every information structure is not a ontology (and nor should it be).

      The label should describe taxonomists by the benefits we offer people and not the technology we use to achieve that (which can vary from free-form folksonomies to highly structured ontologies).

      "Information Architect" is actually a damn good description of what a taxonomist does - but that label is applied to all kinds of roles & work now.

      "Findologist"?
      "Meaning Mapper"?
      "Metadata Mechanic"?

      Cheers,