2808Re: [TaxoCoP] Happy New Year Fellow Taxonomy Nerds!

  • Keipat Patkei
    Jan 1, 2009
      Nick--really appreciate your response. In particular, thanks for the comment about "educate until we're blue in the face." I think this has something to do with certain utopian concepts about "collaboration" and of "librarianship" or what librarians "do/should do" that have been swept up in to discussions about not just the use of controlled vocabularies for categorizing/classifying (manually or semi-automatically), but the building, maintenance, and development of them to support seemingly endless, frequently pointless "requirements."

      Stephanie--I'm just glad that the title of the prediction wasn't "Taxonomies AND Metadata are Dead!" The way I'm reading this CMS WATCH info dab is in the sense that a hierarchical structure, such as those known as taxonomies and, in particular, as defined by, say the applicable ANSI/NISO standards, are not, for the most part, going to be applicable to all personal and business information goals and requirements.

      In other words, the notion of the "one size fits all" structures could well be on its way out, dead, "last nail in the coffin" in 2009, even though many thought, and have been stressing to the likes of CMS WATCH et al., that that was the case some time ago. Many in this group probably don't need CMS WATCH telling us certain things while many in this group appreciate it because any reinforcement of what we suspect is always grateful. We're all at different points on a trajectory.

      However, I don't see the practice of taxonomy, in the sense of contextual analysis and the manual and semi-automatic application of a variety of metadata values--derived from various controlled vocabularies--to content in order to support a variety of "best practices" and requirements, as dying any time soon.

      Keith DeWeese
      Tribune Company