2220RE: [TaxoCoP] 7x3 classification

  • Keipat Patkei
    Sep 5 8:00 PM
      When I first read "7x3," I thought, immediately, that
      it was a reference to facets and orthogonality. But,
      more to the point, I would think, at the least, that
      any numbers related to describing the structure of a
      given vocabulary would, in great part, indicate the
      adequate to thorough coverage of a domain.

      It seems that applying the "7x3" or "7 + or -2" rules
      focuses primarily on, or biases in favor of, the user
      at the risk of losing sight of content warrant.

      Keith DeWeese

      --- Phil Murray <phil.murray@...> wrote:

      > Recognition and who knows what other factors.
      >
      > This "rule" is one of my pet peeves. It's often
      > cited as "authoritative"
      > ... but with no authority behind it.
      >
      > Like a facet should be no more than 4 levels deep.
      >
      > Reminds me of early pronouncements about online page
      > design, claiming
      > (among other things) that you should have no more
      > than 5 links per page.
      > Trouble was, these early hypertext "rhetoricians"
      > were focusing on small
      > monospaced screens and such early hypertext
      > publishing systems as
      > HyperTIES. (OK, I'm dating myself.)
      >
      > Changes in technology tend to make liars of all
      > would-be gurus.
      > Real-world applications often make them brazen
      > liars.
      >
      > Phil Murray
      > Enterprise Knowledge Architect
      > Aelera Corp.