      From: Bob Bater
      Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 12:12 PM
      Subject: RE: [TaxoCoP] 7x3 classification

      Hi all.

      I don't know if this is anywhere near the mark, but my encounter with '7x3' in the context of taxonomies is in relation to advice from some practitioner or other in the past who said that a good taxonomy adheres to the 7x3 rule, i.e. no more than seven top-level categories and no more than three levels. Might that be what Julie's customer was referring to? It also happens that for a card sorting exercise I run, I print the terms on label sheets contain 7x3 labels, but I doubt that that's what's being referred to :-)

      Regards,

      Bob

      Principal Associate
      InfoPlex Associates, UK