      From: Carol Ellerbeck <cellerbeck@...>
      To: TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, September 5, 2007 9:57:18 AM
      Subject: RE: [TaxoCoP] 7x3 classification

      Good day, all,

      I wonder if this could actually be the “7 plus-or-minus 3” rule?   I have heard web production folks refer to this rule countless times when discussing the optimum number of keywords to display for the top level of a website subject classification.  The “rule”, if such it is (I do not know the origin), implies that people can only keep about 4 -10 concepts in their memory at a time – thus, it is best to display only 7 plus-or-minus 3 top level classification terms.

      Just a thought….

      Cheers,

      Carol

      HARVARD | BUSINESS | SCHOOL

      Carol A. Ellerbeck
      Taxonomist & Metadata Manager
      Knowledge & Library Services | Baker Library
      Harvard Business School | Soldier Field Road
      Boston , MA   02163 | PH: 617-495-6745

      ü Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.