2112Re: Hybrid Tagging & Taxonomy

  • William Bitunjac
    Jul 5, 2007
      I've found myself in a similar situation.

      I have a DAM project where the content authors (designers,
      photographers, creative buyers) are tasked with generating metadata
      and indexing image assets without a great deal of training. Turnover
      in all of these areas is very high, so a less structured bottom up
      (folksonomy approach) is appealing.

      90% of our metadata is structured, so validation is a no-brainer...but
      keyword indexing created an issue since exhaustive training on a
      vocabulary was out of the question as was hiring a fleet of catalogin
      librarians.

      From a search performance perspective, they want the benefits of a
      structured environment using ambiguity clarification, synonym rings,
      term relationships, and validating authorities for approved terms.

      We have devised a scheme (maybe a scam) based on a hybrid approach.
      Users enter their "suggested" terms (bottom up tagging) into a
      indexing assistence tool, which offers suggestions utilizing ambiguity
      clarification, synonym rings, word lemitization, and thesaurus BT, NT,
      RT relationships. Users would see if their term was approved, select
      approved or related terms via check boxes and submit their selections
      to the webform.

      If a preferred term was not available in the indexing aid, it could be
      added - at which point a taxonomist would asses the term, build in the
      required relationships in the Thesaurus and publish it...or reject the
      term and a notification would be sent to the user noting the approved
      term that had been applied in its place. This gave the taxonomist an
      automatic lens into the users terminology, somebody with an
      InfoScience background a chance to clean up the relationships, and
      give users some feedback into the selection of approved terms.

      Part of the feedback involved seeing how many others used the approved
      terms (a'la del.icio.us) to heavily suggest that approved terms were
      the way to go.

      Illusion of a Folksonomy, with a lot of logic baked in...and the
      ability for real users to inform the taxonomy as part of the process.

      ....now all I have to do is get my very conservative Data Architect to
      build it like I described it....

      --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, "ahacksaw1" <ahacksaw@...> wrote:

      > Very helpful! Thanks, Patrick.
      >
      > --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Lambe <plambe@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Christine Conors at Raytheon: http://taxocop.wikispaces.com/Social
      > > +tagging 3 October 2006
      > >
      > > Karen Loasby BBC http://www.asis.org/Bulletin/Oct-06/loasby.html
      > >
      > > Bud Gibson, IBM
      > http://thecommunityengine.com/home/archives/2005/03/
      > > ibms_intranet_a.html and
      > http://thecommunityengine.com/home/archives/
      > > 2005/02/using_mapped_fo.html
      > >
      > > Sarah Hayman has just written a report on folksonomies and
      > taxonomies
      > > for an Ark Group conference - have only had a quick scan through,
      > but
      > > she also looks at some corporate examples
      > >
      > http://www.educationau.edu.au/jahia/webdav/site/myjahiasite/shared/
      > > papers/arkhayman.pdf
      > >
      > > Hope this is useful

      > > Patrick Lambe
      > >
      > > website: www.straitsknowledge.com
      > > weblog: www.greenchameleon.com
      > > book: www.organisingknowledge.com
      > >

      > > On 03 Jul 2007, at 10:50 PM, ahacksaw1 wrote:
      > >
      > > > Apologies for reviving an old thread, but I'm currently looking
      > for
      > > > examples of hybrid bottom-up tagging/top-down taxonomy approaches
      > > > that have been used across enterprises. I've seen a fair amount
      > of
      > > > discussion of plans for such approaches, especially in library
      > OPACs
      > > > and in media organizations, but I'm not aware of any working
      > > > implementations of hybrid approaches for corporations. If anyone
      > can
      > > > point me to even one that I could look at, I'd be very grateful.
      > The
      > > > Buzzillions example is a great start, but I'd love to find more
      > > > examples.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks,

      > for
      > > > many