204formal vs. informal terms

  • Layton, Charles F
    Jul 1 6:32 AM
      I had an interesting exchange with some of the decision makers in my area yesterday. I had been planning on building a taxonomy that included informal terms (such as porkchop fitting and batwing doors) and mapped them to the formal terms (as described in maintenance manuals). The person in charge of engineering didn't like the idea because he thought it supported the use of the informal terms and he wanted people to use the formal terms. The person in charge of maintenance preferred having the informal terms in the taxo because those are the ones people actually use. In fact, I'm willing to bet that a number of people know only the informal terms, not the formal ones. I want to optimize performance, so I'd like to include the informal terms.

      Have any of you run into this before? How did you address it?

      Thanks!
      Chuck
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic