1824Re: [TaxoCoP] Taxonomies, Search, and Microsoft SharePoint

  • plambe@straitsknowledge.com
    Feb 12, 2007
      I have recently taken a look at Factiva's taxonomy and metadata
      management tool Synaptica - it is designed primarily as a taxonomy
      management tool (many of the tools I've looked at are primarily
      thesaurus management tools), is quite user friendly, and can link all
      kinds of controlled vocabularies to each other, moving it in the
      direction of enterprise metadata management or ontology development.
      They have also worked hard on standards for export/interface with
      search and CMS tools. Don't know if there's a Sharepoint integration.

      Patrick

      Quoting Joe Lamantia <joe.lamantia@...>:

      > Kate is correct that several major players in the search space offer
      > (or claim to offer) capability for taxo / metadata management. FAST
      > is one. While the specifics of each will differ, anyone considering
      > a searching tool should keep in mind that the various search
      > platforms and tool suites were built to support those needs - not
      > taxonomy management.
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic