1822RE: [TaxoCoP] Taxonomies, Search, and Microsoft SharePoint

  • kate.simpson@freshfields.com
    Feb 12, 2007
      Joe Lamantia wrote:
      "SchemaLogic recently released a SharePoint 2007 integration module - you might take a look at that, to see if it fits
      your needs."

      and

      Karin Schneider wrote:
      "I liked Interse but haven't been sold on the iBox yet (I'm also not a sharepoint user). Would gladly here your opinion."

      We've just been through an RFI process pitting SchemaLogic, Interse and Wordmap against each other. I'd absolutely agree with Joe that you need a separate taxo/metadata management tool to help manage all those interactions and benefits quite outside of Sharepoint, and every tool on the planet is falling over themselves to integrate with Sharepoint 2007 at the moment.

      Which tool you choose however must be dependent on your particular organisation's needs. The iBox is more of an end solution than SchemaLogic, featuring as it does a search engine and user interface (and auto-categorisation/tagging capabilities). SchemaLogic is more of a back-end tool that can be plugged in to your systems by IT in as many ways as you wish - but it is a huge tool and can manage massive numbers of nodes etc, so you might want something slightly smaller and with fewer bells & whistles that come with either the iBox or SchemaLogic, such as Wordmap?

      And finally, we should not dismiss some of the "add-on" tools that come with the newer search technologies such as FAST and, Joe, you mention Endeca? How does that compare to specific third-party taxo management tools? Anyone compared them?

      (Oh, and if anyone would like any more specifics about the tools we looked at please feel free to contact me off-list!)

      Kate