1546RE: [TaxoCoP] Re: trying to improve a doc management system - where to start?

  • annette feldman
    Sep 6, 2006

      Jeff,

      Thanks for your reply and your thoughtful insights.  I should have said in my original post that I am in the process of identifying users to interview with the idea of gaining a better understanding of who is currently using what and how are they currently finding it.  I have spoken at length with some power users, but they are not typical and the system need not even exist for their sake, because they can simply drill through the file structure to find what they need.  I am hoping to open the resources up to those who are, not necessarily less comfortable with technology, but whose jobs require them to balance the amount of time spent finding things with the value that is found.  In other words, if they have to look too hard, they’ll find another way to get what they want (call a techie) or do without.

      I do hesitate to change the basic structure, largely because it was created by my boss who really thinks it is as it should be and is somewhat personally invested in the system retaining his imprint.  I agree with you that the ability to manage the load process quickly is important to me working efficiently, but I’m not yet sure that I know a better structure than the one in place and feel it is foolish to risk a change without good reason, given my boss’ investment in it.  I’ve played around and tried to come up with a topic map that better suits the uses I currently know about, but there is a reason the organization is so murky – a lot of different people approach the information in different ways.

      I have not had a lot of experience with Sharepoint, but as I understand the way we are using it, metadata is added as attributes to files and can be used as filters in searches.  In addition, there is a full text search capability, and filters can be combined and stored in as to have the system run standardized queries, for instance, retrieving a set of economic reports for a market that can be specified at the time of the request.  The query is run independent of the structure of the files; it is not drilling down thorough any kind of tree.  I would like to know if there are query capabilities that are structure dependent, such as geographic rollups, including all markets in a region, or some such thing.  I just don’t know the software well enough, and the IT folks are not terrifically forthcoming.  Still trying to find the right questions to ask them, too.

      I will think more about your suggestions and check out the article you recommend.  I think things can definitely be improved and I do know that this will be an iterative process, I’d just like to get as close to ‘right’ on the first go round as possible!

      Thanks again for your time and your thoughts, and by all means, have another cup of coffee, on me.

      Annette.