1544Re: trying to improve a doc management system - where to start?

  • Jeff Parks
    Sep 6, 2006
      Annette,

      I would say the fundamental issue is based in findability. The
      success of any technology, especially as it applies to Knowledge
      Management solutions like RM/DM tools, is based on a solid
      understanding of the business culture. How comfortable are those in
      your organization in using technology, in general? Is the structure
      and labeling of the content ingrained within the organization or is
      there room to create change which will increase the organization's
      capacity (read "persons" capacity) to find information quickly, and
      intuitively?

      (Related to this line of thinking is a recent article in
      CIO Magazine about going beyond scope, budget, and time to measure
      successful IT projects – including Use, Learning, and Value as core
      requirements to measure success and failure:
      http://www.cio.com/archive/090106/applied.html.)

      Without knowing more, I would suggest the structure of the filing
      system is critical; to both the capacity of Sharepoint to recognize
      and manage the information being queried; and for your capacity to
      keep up with the various documents that come across your desk for
      storing.

      To test this theory, one solution would be to do a content inventory –
      or at least a representative sample of the documents you are managing.
      From this you can get a feel for how the content should be structured,
      labeled, organized – all of which can drive a more effective and
      efficient metadata solution – within the taxonomy. (A taxonomy
      created by an understanding of how those who are using the system
      would think to find information – not just on how it has always
      been structured, or on how you would find / organize everything.)

      Without knowing more, that's my "two cents". Am I close to
      understanding the issues you are facing or do I need another cup of
      coffee?

      Best of luck!

      Jeff Parks
      website: http://www.iaconsultants.ca
      podcast: http://iapodcast.blogspot.com/

      --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, aafeldman@... wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > I’m very new to the group and am having a bit of trouble even
      phrasing my question, but I’m hoping that someone will recognize
      what I need and can give me a gentle push in the right direction.

      > I’ve been asked to improve the functioning of a document
      management system that is currently (and for the foreseeable future)
      based in Sharepoint with a somewhat improved front end for querying
      based mostly on customized attributes. The current structure of the
      files is based on a mix of 1) time (current vs archived), 2) market
      segmentation (eg., macro vs micro), 3) groups of information that are
      generally requested together (eg., standard performance measures), and
      4) random other topics.

      > With the help of some documentation, I have been able to load files
      where they belong according to this system. I’ve been investigating
      topic maps to try to find a more consistent way of organizing the
      info. I think my first questions is, given the retrieval system of
      queries and the fact that I am the only one adding documents to the
      library, how much does the actual structure of the files matter, and
      is this an area I should be spending any time on? There is something
      of an issue with findability, but I think this is largely based on
      incomplete or erroneous metadata in the attributes fields.

      > Yes, I am signed up for Seth’s upcoming series on content
      management, but in the meantime, any advice on where to start? Thanks!

      > Annette Feldman
      > Portfolio Analytics Research Librarian
      > BlackRock
      > 300 Campus Drive
      > Florham Park, NJ 07932-1038
      > 973-264-2893
      > annette.feldman@...

      > Check out AOL.com today. Breaking news, video search, pictures,
      email and IM. All on demand. Always Free.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic