1470RE: [TaxoCoP] Re: Visualization technologies

  • Amanda Xu
    Jul 24, 2006
      --- Roy Roebuck <Roy.Roebuck@...> wrote:
      >... Contact steve@... for further
      > information. Pass him this email/thread if you
      > like. Perhaps he has some online capability he can
      > let you explore/evaluate.

      AX: Thanks for the info! I did talk to them back in
      April with my partial conceptual model diagram for a
      project. But I kept it on hold as there are still so
      many unknown variables and dependences, etc.

      > I identified in 2000 that it was the only tool I
      > could find that was flexible enough to support the
      > modeling I need. I’ve found a few other tools
      > that seem close, but I’ve not proven it yet.

      AX: My experience has been limited to demos on EA
      modeling tools such as Agilense, Telelogic, iRise,
      etc. that handle EA frameworks such as Zachman, FEA,
      DoDAF, TOGAF, etc., for BPM, SOA, etc. All of these
      tools and frame works can only handle hard facts or
      evidences at M3/M2/M1/M0 layers.

      What's missing is the top layer of an EA info ecology,
      e.g. people's background, culture, social networks,
      working habit, organization policies, regulatory and
      other constraints, etc. which will govern your EA
      implementation strategies and your potential success
      and risk ratios.

      > Agilense is not perfect, requires a “techie”
      > orientation to administer the repository and gain
      > the full power of its feature set, and needs
      > supplemental capabilities, built around what I call
      > my “hub and spoke” integration model. In this
      > hub and spoke, my general/integrating ontology
      > provides the “axle”, a repository like Agilense
      > serves as the “hub”, various data/process
      > integration technologies such as ESB serve as
      > interfacing “hub-bands”, and then a variety of
      > tools serve as “spokes” that support different
      > functions of the enterprise or support different
      > phases of the generalized spiral life cycle
      > management technique we apply.

      AX: Excellent in terms of EA info architecture.
      However, my challenge is not "techie" orientation.
      How to obtain mission critical data from
      upper/mid-level functional managers so that incoming
      data can get into the 'axle' repository in a rubust
      manner has proved to be more difficult than anything
      else.

      > Our approach enables rapid/adaptive changes in data,
      > metadata, and meta-metadata, such as the composition
      > of our seven reference catalogs (taxonomies), the
      > relations between the catalog entries, and the
      > attributes that describe these entries and
      > relations. The key to increasing the stability of
      > this environment is to provide a mechanism for
      > community/domain consensus building, consensus
      > decisions, and then subsequent variance
      > identification and reporting to the variant author
      > and broader community.

      AX: Thanks for the info about your approach. Do you
      have systems in place to promote mechanism for
      community/domain consensus building?

      > As to the how, practices, etc., that’s the
      > business I’m in, and I don’t normally disclose
      > too many of its details outside of business talks
      > and engagements.

      AX: I understand.

      > You can review my EA site at
      > http://www.one-world-is.com/beam, and if you’d
      > like internal support with your EA, taxonomies, or
      > ontologies using my approach, contract my services
      > through my current employer, CommIT.

      AX: Thanks for the link. Keep in touch!

      Amanda Xu

      <blocked::http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Tmap&addr=2231+Crystal+Drive,+Ste+501&csz=Arlingon,+VA&country=us>