1466RE: [TaxoCoP] Re: Visualization technologies

  • Roy Roebuck
    Jul 20 12:50 PM

      Hi Amanda:

      I do use Agilense WebModeler as the tool I was describing.  You made an astute observation on this, because I don’t think I mentioned Agilense in this forum.  Actually, Agilense has always communicated to me their willingness to let people evaluate their tool with a 45 day evaluation license, but typically under an NDA so that “reverse-engineering” is constrained.  Contact steve@... for further information.  Pass him this email/thread if you like.  Perhaps he has some online capability he can let you explore/evaluate.

      I identified in 2000 that it was the only tool I could find that was flexible enough to support the modeling I need.  I’ve found a few other tools that seem close, but I’ve not proven it yet.  Agilense is not perfect, requires a “techie” orientation to administer the repository and gain the full power of its feature set, and needs supplemental capabilities, built around what I call my “hub and spoke” integration model.  In this hub and spoke, my general/integrating ontology provides the “axle”, a repository like Agilense serves as the “hub”, various data/process integration technologies such as ESB serve as interfacing “hub-bands”, and then a variety of tools serve as “spokes” that support different functions of the enterprise or support different phases of the generalized spiral life cycle management technique we apply.

      Our approach enables rapid/adaptive changes in data, metadata, and meta-metadata, such as the composition of our seven reference catalogs (taxonomies), the relations between the catalog entries, and the attributes that describe these entries and relations.  The key to increasing the stability of this environment is to provide a mechanism for community/domain  consensus building, consensus decisions, and then subsequent variance identification and reporting to the variant author and broader community.

      As to the how, practices, etc., that’s the business I’m in, and I don’t normally disclose too many of its details outside of business talks and engagements.

      You can review my EA site at http://www.one-world-is.com/beam, and if you’d like internal support with your EA, taxonomies, or ontologies using my approach, contract my services through my current employer, CommIT.

      Roy

      CommIT Enterprises, Inc.

      Enterprise Architecture for Enterprise Management, Security, and Knowledge

      Roy Roebuck III
      Senior Enterprise Architect

      2231 Crystal Drive, Ste 501
      Arlingon, VA