1453RE: [TaxoCoP] Re: Visualization technologies

  • Roy Roebuck
    Jul 19, 2006

      Amanda:  Thanks for the feedback.

      The following text is probably a bit overwhelming for most, and even for me sometimes, so I also have diagrams (which I’m also told are often overwhelming) to aid the discussion if needed.

      Please note that I typically use one tool to do the M3/M2/M1/M0 modeling and model aggregation/integration/unification across those layers.

      Unfortunately, I still have to procedurally use multiple tools (e.g., intelligence mining) and techniques (e.g., user surveys) to efficiently and effectively populate/aggregate the initial M1 layer with the client/user world view (i.e., their ontology) as an independent M1 domain (e.g., representing a software application, a business process, a form, a database, a concept map), to populate the resultant metadata-modeled M1 domain with relevant M0 client/user data, and to keep the M1 and M0 synchronized with the client’s ever-flowing operational and analytical data and metadata.

      I then take the resultant independent domain (but now aggregated in my single repository and namespace) M1 layer world views/ontologies (e.g., process models, data models, UML sequence and class diagrams) and corresponding M0 virtualized or migrated class repositories and/or databases, and relate their class and subclass structures to one or more of my seven generalized reference classes (i.e., my generalized “physics-based” taxonomies) using one or more of my seven relation types with my M2 Layer “Reference Catalog”.  From the generalized and integrated ontologies, I then build up my specialized type of “thesaurus”, to unify the diverse and ever-changing vocabulary of the diverse and ever-changing independent world views/ontologies into a unified vocabulary with preferred terms (built largely by consensus of clients/users) and alternate terms (specific to each independent, but now federated, domain).

      Physical aspects:  energy, time, space, matter, intelligence (or dynamic-self-referencing pattern or concept, if you prefer).

      General Reference Catalogs: Location, Organization, Organization Unit, Function, Process, Resource, Mission Requirement

      General Relation Types: Categorization (inheritance hierarchy of “like things”), containment (tree or structural “hierarchy” of “unlike things”), sequence (flow), change (flow), variance (flow), equivalence (categorization), descriptive (has a, about a, attribute, property)

      Generalized Role Types (for Sequence Relation Types): Customer, Supplier, Authority, Performer, Outsource, Partner, Public)

      These are sufficient to my “enterprise management intention, but obviously open to infinite variability and discussion.  I choose to just be practical, not linguistic or philosophical.

      CommIT Enterprises, Inc.

      Enterprise Architecture for Enterprise Management, Security, and Knowledge

      Roy Roebuck III
      Senior Enterprise Architect

      2231 Crystal Drive, Ste 501
      Arlingon, VA