1447Re: Visualization technologies

  • axu789
    Jul 19, 2006
      Thanks Bob for the URL of ‘The Brain’. I agree with Roy that it
      would be ideal to have modeling tools that are compatible with each
      other for all layers of MDA, at least, from M4, M3, M2, M1 to M0,
      etc.

      I would hesitate to use a tool that requires me to piece together
      different modeling tools for each layer of MDA, in addition to keep
      track of the upgrades of each version of the individual tools, and
      compatibility of each manifestation generated by the tools.

      In addition, I view this infrastructure level data modeling tool to
      be open in terms of Web enabling standards and technologies, to be
      independent in terms of the separation of process and application
      from build to runtime enviornment, to be comfortable in terms of my
      physical and virtual working environment, where creativity,
      collaboration, and productivity are enhanced, etc.

      How many times do I find myself who would rather take the road that
      I knew than the potential new one which seems to be faster but has
      too many unknown variables? As far as I am concerned, selecting and
      buying tools are not simply for the tools, but also for the building
      of long term partnership with your tool providers.

      Cheers,

      Amanda Xu

      --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, "Roy Roebuck" <Roy.Roebuck@...>
      wrote:

      > I've used TheBrain for several projects since its first beta
      release,
      > and still use it. Be aware that while TheBrain is an excellent
      tool for
      > modeling and tracking "networks" of ideas/content, it is less
      capable at
      > creating "hierarchies" (i.e., classification structure with
      inheritable
      > attributes) of content, which are fundamental to taxonomies and
      > ontologies.
      >

      > I typically categorize relationships (i.e., verb phrases) into one
      of
      > seven "Relation Types": categorization, containment, sequence,
      change,
      > variance, equivalence, and descriptive. TheBrain has strong
      support for
      > containment relations, but only limited support for categorization,
      > sequence, change, variance, equivalence, and descriptive relations.
      > Other technologies focus on one or more of these other relations.
      >

      > I've found that the newer ontology tools with a fully open object
      model
      > (i.e., object metaschema in Layer 4 (M3) of OMG's Model Driven
      > Architecture's (MDA) 4 Layer Metamodel) can support all seven
      relation
      > types. I've found that CASE tools and MOF tools tend to have
      > closed/proprietary/fixed M3 Layer (Unified Object, Data Types,
      Relation
      > Types) and M2 Layer (General/Reference Classes, Attributes,
      Relations,
      > Integration) models, because their primary focus, and historical
      > purpose, and thus the limit of their vision, is at the M1
      Independent
      > Application/Service/Domain Layer for modeling of specific classes,
      > attributes, and relations.
      >

      > Roy
      >

      > CommIT Enterprises, Inc.
      >
      > Enterprise Architecture for Enterprise Management, Security, and
      > Knowledge <blocked::http://www.commitent.com>
      >
      > Roy Roebuck III
      > Senior Enterprise Architect
      >
      > 2231 Crystal Drive, Ste 501
      > Arlingon, VA
      > <blocked::http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?
      Pyt=Tmap&addr=2231+Crystal+Dr
      > ive,+Ste+501&csz=Arlingon,+VA&country=us> 22202
      >
      > roy.roebuck@... <BLOCKED::mailto:roy.roebuck@...>
      >
      > mobile:
      > fax:
      > direct:
      >
      > +1 (703)-598-2351
      > +1 (703) 486-5540
      > +1 (703) 486-5506
      >

      > Add me to your address book...
      > <blocked::https://www.plaxo.com/add_me?
      u=34360117809&v0=756286&k0=204659
      > 6413>
      >

      > ________________________________

      Behalf
      > Of Bob Bater
      > Sent: Sunday, July 02, 2006 5:26 PM
      > To: TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [TaxoCoP] Visualization technologies
      >

      > Thanks to those of you who have replied so far to my question
      regarding
      > The Brain. Amanda Xu asked what the current URL for The Brain's
      vendors
      > is. They seem to have moved physically, but the URL is still
      > http://www.thebrain.com/. The Brain is now at version 3.03.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Bob

      > >>Principal Associate<<