1414RE: [TaxoCoP] Re: Visualization technologies (TheBrain Technologies software)

  • karl.hebenstreit@gsa.gov
    Jul 11, 2006
      Bob -
      Thanks for your comments.

      I'll post a reply back to the whole group in a couple of days, after I have
      a conversation with my contacts at TheBrain this afternoon. I agree with
      you on Topic Maps. Support for XML Topic Maps is one of the questions I'm
      planning to ask.

      Appreciatively,
      Karl

      "Bob Bater"
      <bbater@infoplex- To
      uk.com> TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com
      Sent by: cc
      TaxoCoP@yahoogrou
      ps.com Subject
      RE: [TaxoCoP] Re: Visualization
      technologies (TheBrain Technologies
      07/08/2006 02:35 software)
      PM

      Please respond to
      TaxoCoP@yahoogrou
      ps.com

      06 July 2006 17:24, Karl Hebenstreit, Jr. said:

      I don't have an extensive background with taxonomies, but I see traditional
      taxonomies as a special case of a more general dynamic, non-hierachical
      categorization schema that allows entities to be assigned to multiple
      categories to varying degrees. One of the reasons I'm intrigued by these
      tools is that I believe they have the potential to deal with this more
      general case.

      Karl,

      I couldn't agree with you more. I see the three main 'schemas' I deal with
      - ontologies, taxonomies and thesauri - as 'sub-schemas' of a much more
      general world of highly networked relationships. Which is why I refer to
      Topics Maps as 'Indexing in 3D'. Tools like IHMC Cmap Tools and The Brain,
      which allow more than just plain hierarchical relationships to be
      expressed, do indeed come close to being able to represent this highly
      networked schema, but I must still give Topic Maps the prize for the
      greatest flexibility, if not ease of use.

      Regards,

      Bob

      .