1388RE: [TaxoCoP] Visualization technologies

  • Bob Bater
    Jul 5, 2006
      Roy,

      Thanks for your interesting comments, which I have excerpted below. It is good to hear that some have used the Brain since its first beta release (me too) and are still using it.

      However, I obviously have some learning to do here, because I don't understand why a hierarchy must have inheritable attributes to be a hierarchy. I remember that this was discussed fairly recently in this group, but I don't remember the conclusion (if any).

      The hierarchies (taxonomies, thesauri) I generally find myself building recognize just three types of hierarchical relationship: generic, partitive and instantial. The generic relationship, I guess, is equivalent to your 'categorization' and the partitive to your 'containment', but I'm not sure which of your relations the instantial relationship equates to. Nor do I see how the containment relation type can always support inheritance. An escalator for instance, contains the major components 'steps', 'handrail', 'electric motor' etc.. But since the steps are usually metal and the handrail rubber or plastic, I can't see what's being inherited here, except membership of the top-level class (although of course, 'handrail' could also be a member of an entirely different class). But perhaps you wouldn't regard this as an example of a taxonomy?

      I am also interested to know why you say The Brain has "only limited support for categorization, sequence, change, variance, equivalence, and descriptive relations" when it allows you to assign a link type to a link between two terms or concepts and to show those links in different colours. I regard this as equivalent to Topic Maps allowing the typing of associations. But again, perhaps there is more to representing these other types of relation than just naming them?

      Regards,

      Bob

      >>Principal
      Associate<<
      >>InfoPlex Associates<<

      On 05 July 2006 18:22 Roy Roebuck said:

       ... it is less capable at creating “hierarchies” (i.e., classification structure with inheritable attributes) of content, which are fundamental to taxonomies and ontologies.

      I typically categorize relationships (i.e., verb phrases) into one of seven “Relation Types”: categorization, containment, sequence, change, variance, equivalence, and descriptive.  TheBrain has strong support for containment relations, but only limited support for categorization, sequence, change, variance, equivalence, and descriptive relations.  Other technologies focus on one or more of these other relations.

      .

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic